HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Due to an argument......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220392-due-argument.html)

jrbsr 12-01-2007 12:13 PM

RE: Due to an argument.........

I just wanted to see if I was one of the only person that uses a bipod for deer hunting, or if there were other people out there that liked to use them.

I would use one if the legs were longer.

timbercruiser 12-01-2007 01:10 PM

I think you should use whatever means you can get to make a good shot on a deer. If you sit in a ladder stand you use the rail, if a tree is available on the groundyou use it, if you have the shooting sticks then by all means use them. I honestly don't understand your dad's position on this matter.

Tuco 12-01-2007 04:15 PM

I don't use one, but we don't have a rifle season in Indiana. If it helps you make a better more ethical shot, then by all means use one.

Steve F.in MD 12-01-2007 04:52 PM

I have Stoney Point sticks. I love them. They telescope short enough to fit into my hunting vest (game bag) and allow me to be rock steady. I took two deer at 138 yards last Saturday with them. Not a shot I would try shooting off hand. No matter what your dad says, I think you are being a responsible hunter by trying to increase the odds of a clean killing shot instead of a wounding one. Good luck with the bipod.

bigbucks98 12-01-2007 08:50 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: 700xcr

I use the Stoney Point Rapid Pod on my gun. It is a qwick detachable by-pod. It swivels 360 degrees. It is a sitting and kneeling model. Out West here we get 300yds to 400yds. shots.
[/quote

Same one that i use.

mauser06 12-01-2007 09:12 PM

depends....if im long range bangin, definently. IE, setup on a big open field or somewhere i KNOW my shootings definently going to be 100+yds...cases like that, i'll throw the harris on the rifle...

if im hunting with the flintlock, i got my homeade shootin sticks with me...

but for most my hunting, i dont bother with either...bipod adds weight and clumsyness..and using a bipod or sticks in the woods isnt practical for me...too much added movement and time to get setup for woods hunting IMO...just too easy to sit down and use my knee or a nearby tree or log jam or just shoot freehand...

different strokes for different folks...

cal516 12-04-2007 12:34 PM

Been on a sniper team in the military for the past 10 years.A key to making a great shot is a stable platform whatever it is. My tree stand has a front rail and when I take a shot I kneel down and rest the gun on it. You should be able to be completley comfortable and relaxed and be able to set your sights on your target, close your eyes and reopen them. Your sight picture and sights should never move from your target. If they are your are forcing the gun onto the target and you may be off. I know kind of long winded for a simple answer...you can't beat a stable platform, what ever it is.....

kmunny19 12-04-2007 01:49 PM

Why not have it for the few times when there's no good rest available cole enough by. its another way to make a tough shot more ethical.