HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Due to an argument......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/220392-due-argument.html)

pheasantfanatic 12-01-2007 08:05 AM

Due to an argument.........

Due to an argument I have been having with my dad,:) I decided to post this question. I just bought a bipod for my .270 for deer season this year and really like it. My dad thinks it is the most ridiculous thing he has ever seen.

My question is- How many of you have a bipod or shooting sticks for yourdeer rifle??

I just wanted to see if I was the onlyperson that uses a bipod for deer hunting, or if there were other people out there that liked to use them.

700xcr 12-01-2007 08:28 AM

RE: Due to an argument.........

I use the Stoney Point Rapid Pod on my gun. It is a qwick detachable by-pod. It swivels 360 degrees. It is a sitting and kneeling model. Out West here we get 300yds to 400yds. shots.

J0rdanhanson 12-01-2007 08:34 AM

i use a $90 bipod on my savage 30-06 as you can see in the pic

bayou_buckslayer 12-01-2007 08:50 AM

whats wrong with those! your dad needs no to try them then he wont insult you!!

pheasantfanatic 12-01-2007 08:52 AM

Exactly my thoughts!!!!:D

srwshooter 12-01-2007 08:56 AM

i have 3 sets of harris bipods,iuse them mostly for varmint hunting. some places i hunt have lots of fields so i sometimes use them for deer hunting to. i also have a set of stoney point shooting sticks. they are great when i hunt powerlines where the grass is to high for bipods and i may need to shoot 300yds plus. when i'm hunting i just carry them like a walking stick ,if a deer runs out on a powerline i'm on one knee fast with the sticks.

i know people that won't use them to,but they are the ones missing deer at long range also.when that buck of a life time appears ,i'd just as soon be ready.

stuckinthereeds 12-01-2007 10:25 AM

I don't have one on my current .308 but I plan on getting one when I purchase my new gun in a few months.

skeeter 7MM 12-01-2007 10:40 AM

A good rest IMO is a requirement. I hunt on the ground 100% of the time and finding a suitable rest can be problematic, a bipod or shooting sticks instant solution.

I can understand his viewpoint being I too was taught and learned to shoot off hand. It was how it was done before these aides were common, older dogs take time to learn new tricks;). Have him shoot off yours, he may just change his opinion slightly. I know I rarily shoot off hand anymore, it just gives more more confidence to have a solid hold.

Buffinator 12-01-2007 11:19 AM

Just about all my hunting is in the woods from a tree, so I dont use any sticks. If i need to make a long shot over an open field, I sit down if I can.

retrieverman 12-01-2007 11:59 AM

Not for me, but whatever blows your skirt up.