Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 1st nice deer, almost lost him >

1st nice deer, almost lost him

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1st nice deer, almost lost him

Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st nice deer, almost lost him

I shot this 8 point Monday morning, 14 inch inside spread and about 12 inches tall. I've shot some spikes and a couple of 4 pointers in the past but nothing of any real size (not that this ones a monster but I'm pretty proud of him). I had already shot a doe and he came in about 1/2 hour later. I grunted and he stopped behind a tree with only his butt sticking out. I waited and shot him a few seconds later after he moved on a bit. I thought I missed. I got down, went to around where I thought I might have shot him and looked around. Couldn't find any sign so I got my doe and headed to the house. My hunting partner hunted that evening about 120 yds. from where I was that morning. He got into his stand and was looking around and saw this deer laying there. IT WAS MY DEER! I was excited that he was found and that I got to check him in but I was upset that I would have let him rot if it wasn't for the good luck of my hunting partner. I did learn a good lesson though and will be much more careful to mark where the animal is when i shoot it so that I can track it more successfully. It would have been more rewarding if I hadn't have been so irresponsible. Lesson learned, glad the luck was with us.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1st nice deer, almost lost him

I shot this 8 point Monday morning, 14 inch inside spread and about 12 inches tall. I've shot some spikes and a couple of 4 pointers in the past but nothing of any real size (not that this ones a monster but I'm pretty proud of him). I had already shot a doe and he came in about 1/2 hour later. I grunted and he stopped behind a tree with only his butt sticking out. I waited and shot him a few seconds later after he moved on a bit. I thought I missed. I got down, went to around where I thought I might have shot him and looked around. Couldn't find any sign so I got my doe and headed to the house. My hunting partner hunted that evening about 120 yds. from where I was that morning. He got into his stand and was looking around and saw this deer laying there. IT WAS MY DEER! I was excited that he was found and that I got to check him in but I was upset that I would have let him rot if it wasn't for the good luck of my hunting partner. I did learn a good lesson though and will be much more careful to mark where the animal is when i shoot it so that I can track it more successfully. It would have been more rewarding if I hadn't have been so irresponsible. Lesson learned, glad the luck was with us.

Congratulations.

On your buck And on what you learned.
I admire your honesty.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM

great buck congrats
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you go back to where you shot him and look for sign again?

I always reverse track my deer when I find them just for practice.

Congratulations though!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't been back. My hunting partner found him in the evening. I had shot him in the morning along with a doe and opted not to hunt that evening. I would have though. I like to do that too. Thanks, Greg
Old 11-27-2007, 10:51 PM

thats a good buck. nice high rack
Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck, way to go!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice deer.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM

Good job!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

congrats

Quick Reply: 1st nice deer, almost lost him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.