Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Camo, who doesn't use it?

Old 01-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camo, who doesn't use it?

I seem to get more deer while not wearing camo. I stopped wearing it most days last season with the exception of my (lucky) hat that I always wear. Do any of you guys not wear camo? I think the deer don't really notice much of what we wear as long as you don't move around much.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-23-2003, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Camo, who doesn't use it?

I wear camo but I don't think it helps much. It's just that all of the good hunting clothing is camoed. I actually find it kind of humurous that some folks get all camoed up then slap a big old neon orange vest right over the top of it. I'd say that orange vest (which most states require) totally negates any advantage camo might give.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear it in the archery season,but during the gun season,I wear an old black-and-red plaid Woolrich outfit.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

my orange vest has cammo on it =).
Old 01-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archery yes ,but rifle no I don't wear it . I have had just as good hunting without as I have with it so in rifle I want the other hunters to see me .
Old 01-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

The reason most of you see no different wearing camo or not is because most of todays eye appealing camo is ineffective. You might as well wear the plaid etc..it's about the same. Ever wonder how many animals you don't see because they've seen you first. Go to www.asatcamo.com and see the science behind camo and why most of todays isn't effective. Once I started wearing camo 10 plus years ago, I've been sold. I can also honestly tell you, I see more animals on days I wear ASAT then on days I wear Mossy Oak because the ASAT needs washed. Don't take my word for it, research it and try it yourself.

Also, I agree with the orange. That is why I wear orange camo that matches my ASAT. I still have the orange requirement to be legal but still have the hiding ability of breaking up my outline. Deer see orange as a shade of white. In snow, orange is very effective but in a dark enviroment like the fall woods unless you break it up in shades of lights and darks.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 01-24-2003, 04:20 AM

I wear my old army jacket, it has worked fine for me. The one thing I did do this year was get a face mask it made a big diference as far as getting closer to my game.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never wore camo for gun hunting for over thirty years, I started wearing camo when I started bow hunting. I have to say that I can assure you it works on people, I have had people pass within 10 yards of me and not know I was there, of course I have had deer be within 5 yards without camo, but I also was well concealed.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Deer are color blind and can't see orange. But picture looking into a set of woods or whatever in black and white. You have somebody in camo sitting in their and someone who is not. the camo will blend in with all the different shades of black and white but the one who just has a pair of black or brown carharts(SP?) on looks like an out of place blob. That is how I look at it, but whatever works
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rifle season can't wear any camo, just solid colours. I wear white fleece and a red or orange hat. Since their is usually snow on the ground I blend in fairly well, but always use a large based tree to lean against and plenty of natural backing for break up. During bow and ML camo is legal, I wear Predator Brand Camo. Like Rob/PA mentioned they believe the same as ASAT, lines of different shades, inter mixed works better than other forms. Summed up I believe the key to concealment is outline break up, not blend in. Either way camo or my whites I practice outline break up and always see plenty of deer and have had countless close encounters. (Oh and don't forget using the wind...all to often our scent is what points those eyes in our direction and ultimately leads to being busted!!!)

Quick Reply: Camo, who doesn't use it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.