Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the rain.....

Old 01-18-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Hunting in the rain.....

I've read that the deer move before a front comes in, but what about during a drizzle. Do the deer hunker down or do they walk around? I'm asking because I'm hunting this afternoon through Sunday and it should drizzle on and off alot. What is your advice?
Old 01-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hunting in the rain.....

The bucks are walking all the time right now. If you have a shooting house to get in or don't mind sitting in the rain go ahead. You ain't gonna have any luck laying in the bed and the season goes out pretty soon.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer will move during rain or drizzle, they will bed down during a downpour, but will start moving soon after it lets up. You gain when it drizzles or rains, the woods are quieter and it takes your scent right to the ground and washes/dilutes any you may have left.

The Tazman
Old 01-18-2002, 08:56 AM

Definitely get out there to hunt, especially if you hunt public land while the other hunters will stay in bed. The first time I saw my personal "trophy" buck was during a light rain. I had been looking down to shield my eyes (I was facing the wind of course) and then looked up to see this monster shaking the water off of his head. It was like he was shaking an entire bush, what a sight! It took me two weeks to take him, but it was worth it. I never even knew he was in there until that one rainy day.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:07 AM

Tazman, said it for me.The only thing I could add is you won't get one sitting on a couch.Go get them.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Spike

I will be right there with you TideJoe. I love hunting in the rain. If it is not a downpour, I try to hunt the hardwood bottoms. If it is a downpour, I hunker down in a shooting house with a book and pillow 'cause rain on a tin roof is music to my ears. I have been very successful during breaks in downpours.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you guys, they'll always be moving regardless of the weather. I've seen big bucks walking on top of the hills in 35+ mph winds with snow rain and drizzle. The weather might change what they do, but won't stop them.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I alway like to hunt during the rain .More deer moving around and less hunters .
Old 01-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite time to "rain hunt" is the week before gun season, walking in the woods still hunting with a bow during a drizzle or slight wet snow with a mild, swirling breeze. I've never seen more deer than during this kind of condition. Here in Michigan, it is right around the rut, before the guns put the deer in the caution mode, and they move about pretty easily. They aren't going about their day with "reckless abandon" (except some of the young bucks) but its fun to play "sneak peek" with them. Scent, sound, and movement become obscured for both you and the deer, so it pays to move slow and steady with frequent stops. And you are normally out there alone b/c so few hunters want to don their wet weather gear and go for it.

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.