Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Barometer Readings

Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Barometer Readings

What do pressure systems have to do with deer patterns, just curious if anyone knows what exactly connects deer and the barometeric readings. What readings are favorable? Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barometer Readings

I am not a student of this particular type of huting info, but I do know that when a big low pressure system is on the way, and the very beginning of the fron tbegins to hit BEFORE the barometer has dropped too dramatically, then the wildlife - fur, fin and feathers- all seem to get excited and move about chaotically for several hours until the front settles in.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lolso225

What do pressure systems have to do with deer patterns, just curious if anyone knows what exactly connects deer and the barometric readings. What readings are favorable? Thanks
Barometric pressure has a major impact on whitetail deer movement. Normally, one observes whitetail deer at dawn and dusk. At dawn, deer feed on their way to their bedding areas. At dusk, deer normally awake and start feeding. A good cold front will change this normal whitetail deer behavior. Whitetail deer are triggered into heavy feeding patterns before storms, when the barometer is falling rapidly.

A rapidly falling barometer is the perfect time to go whitetail deer hunting. When a cold front is inbound, the barometer will fall steadily. This is the time when whitetail deer will feed earlier than normal. Instead of coming out at dusk, they will be out a few hours early. This is the time when you can see the biggest and best deer browsing around in broad daylight.

On the front edge of a storm, look for deer to move. Whitetail deer will feed heavily when the deer detect a drop in barometric pressure. Deer hunting will also be productive the first few days behind a front.

Another thing to watch for is the height of the Dragon Fly. When the barometric (Low)pressure is 29 and 30 they fly high where they are not noticeable when walking in the woods, but asthe (Low) pressure is dropping to (High) pressurearound 24 or 23, they fly over your head cause the pressure does not let them get altitude. The bird and squirrel activity will be more also. Even spiders can sense the pressure and you will not see them on the web when there is a (High)pressure of(21-22).Up North it will be Cold Fronts, Snow Flurriesand Snow Storms. In FL it will be Torrential Rains, Stormsand Hurricanes...

To help you keep track of what the barometer is doing, here are some things you can do:

You can buy a barometer, watch the weather reports or simply get on the Internet, go to www.weather.com and check out the current barometer reading and forecasted weather.

So, next time the cold front is inbound, it is time for you to get outbound to your favorite whitetail deer hunting stand.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

...........I didnt understand a word you just said.....lol........
Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bayou_buckslayer

...........I didnt understand a word you just said.....lol........
Well, go to your local TV station and make an appointment with a Meteorologist to have him explainthe Barometric Pressures and the effects it has onAnimals, Birds and insects. Or have a high school science teacher explain to you.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 PM

that explains it , i havent seen a dragon fly since july 19 th , anybody with dragon flys let me know if the deer are moving , ill be standing by !!! lol