HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Have you learned anything new this year (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/219244-have-you-learned-anything-new-year.html)

stuckinthereeds 11-23-2007 10:20 PM

Have you learned anything new this year

Rifle season ends this weekend. I got two muleys but I didn't get my whitetail. Not for the lack of trying. I went out as much as I could but I never could put one down. I saw a lot. I would like to blame my equipment but in the end I know its me. But I have also learned a lot about whitetails and my equipment. What have you all learned this year, or in the past couple years that have helped you emensly.?

One thing that I have learned, acutally I already knew, but this was reinforced to me....ALWAYS CARRY TOILET PAPER....haha. don't ask.

il coyote 11-24-2007 07:14 AM

RE: Have you learned anything new this year

Whether it's with you all the time, or stashed in the truck, HAVE SOME TYPE OF CLEANING ROD TO FREE YOUR BARREL OF OBSTRUCTIONS!!!

Mud, in my case.[:@]

rifleboy91 11-24-2007 08:35 AM

that deer don't like me!!!!!!!. i didnt see 2 deer the whole season,i say 2 cause i did see one on opener.

bayou_buckslayer 11-24-2007 09:07 AM

i learned not to fart when the wind blowing thrue your stand and towards the deer :(

1shotkill1993 11-24-2007 10:20 AM

i learned that id rather be drippin with sweat in the stand than cool for 6 hours.

big rockpile 11-24-2007 10:34 AM

I don't know whyI didn't think of this before.Bring along a short small cord to tie one back Leg up on a tree making it easier to Fielddress.Bring along Baby Wipes for clean up,I used them to wipe Blood off my Hands and Knife.

big rockpile

mtair 11-24-2007 06:22 PM

dont count the points on a downed deer, unless your ABSOLUTLY SURE its dead!!!!

Doe Dumper 11-24-2007 07:01 PM

Learned how much I love still hunting during a midday rainstorm...

newhuntermd 11-24-2007 07:13 PM

always bring toilet paper

Alsatian 11-24-2007 07:22 PM

I am not a trophy hunter. I just like having a good hunt and taking a deer - either a buck or a doe, it doesn't matter to me. I took a buck the evening of the opening day. I had a doe permit also, but I made some mistakes. I found myself preferring to watch a football game -- the Dallas Cowboys -- on Thursday, Thanksgiving day, rather than hunting. I realized that I was looking at the hunting as directed to getting the deer rather than the process or state of hunting. I know, sounds sort of weird. But to me it is more than the act of killing the deer, it is the whole process and state of hunting. 5 seconds of viewing and shooting the deer and the whole show is over. It is more, for me, of the process and flow of hunting than the actual pay off. I realized I should be out hunting where I have the chance of learning more stuff. And I did learn a little -- I found a place where deer were slipping under a fence, as can be seen from deer hair on the fence. So, keep actively hunting.