Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Me and my dad

Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Me and my dad

So another bow season has came and almost passed, and now its about to be gun season.....Me my older brother and my dad, have all been hunting together since i was 3 years old(im 19) and it is truely the greatest thing i have ever done......i dont really care about harvesting a deer as much as i do about spending time with my dad and my older brother. But i havent even haversted a deer yet, and im hoping that this weekend i can finally get passed that cause its very very important to my dad to see his youngest son to finally harvest a deer.......anyways i think that the rut might have started a litle late this year because of the mild weather...and the next 4 days are going to be the first days that are right around 30 degrees......my question is...you think that the cold front will make the deer more active then they have been with the more mild weather
Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Me and my dad

From what I've read and seen, the rut usually iscontrolled by the amount of light per day that affects the pituitary gland of deer; it causes the does to come into heat and the buck to "get rutty". That's why they have a rut in Florida as well as other, colder states. Shorter days = less light = rut.
But having said that, it also seems like colder weather will get the deer to moving more - and that may have more to do with their increased need for food than anything else. But as the does move around more, the bucks also move around more - so in my experience, I have seen more deer being more active when the weather cools down than when it's warm.
Don't worry about getting that first deer - spend time in the woods and apply the knowledge you can get from this and other forums, and it will happen. A guy I was hunting with last week made a very profound observation: "When you are out in the woods with your rifle, you significantly increase yourchances ofgetting adeer."

Good Luck!

ps - Glad to see that you value your time with your family; it always meant a lot to me too. Note the signature at the bottom of my post.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice, Jaybe. My brother hunted for six years before getting his first deer, but apply what you learn here and it will happen soon.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM

Yes definently. If it has warm like you said and now cold they will be moving like crazy, at least the deer do where I hunt. Good Luck
Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jaybe

From what I've read and seen, the rut usually iscontrolled by the amount of light per day that affects the pituitary gland of deer; it causes the does to come into heat and the buck to "get rutty". That's why they have a rut in Florida as well as other, colder states. Shorter days = less light = rut.
But having said that, it also seems like colder weather will get the deer to moving more - and that may have more to do with their increased need for food than anything else. But as the does move around more, the bucks also move around more - so in my experience, I have seen more deer being more active when the weather cools down than when it's warm.

ps - Glad to see that you value your time with your family; it always meant a lot to me too.
Well put! Couldn't of said it any better myself!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

the deer will definitaly move more in the colder weather. atleast thats how it is here.