Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What do you look for in a hunting video? >

What do you look for in a hunting video?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Just give me the hunts. Too much talking bothers me.
19.23%
I like to see a good story line that goes along with the hunts.
19.23%
I like to see some pro-staff talking throughout the video.
3.85%
I like a video that has a lot of tips and advice.
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

What do you look for in a hunting video?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: What do you look for in a hunting video?

I love videos with a lot of hunting,tips, and advice. I have learned a lot from hunting videos.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Default RE: What do you look for in a hunting video?

For some reason, I have managed to see a lot of hunting videos. I believe theytend to fall in one of two categories, with some overlap. Those are:
[ol][*]Thrills (A video ride-along on a hunt) Here, guys tend to look for lots of kill shots and huge racks. Some enjoy little bits of instruction, preparation, or camaraderie, while other viewers tend to be impatient and just was a direct IV of hardcore hunting.[*]Skills (An instructional video aimed specifically at teaching useful technique) Here, new hunters are looking to reduce the learning curve associated with the many requisite skills involved with hunting. Nobody wants to look like a doofus! Experienced hunters who are always looking to add to their skill set or have an opportunity to hunt a new species in a new environment will sometimes go for these as well. [/ol]
Viewers - Some hunters are really frustrated with slick productions, private ranches, and in-your-face commercials to pay for it all. They are only interested in watching the kind of hunting they do.Others are bored by that and want to see something they have never experienced (but dream of). Some love to see the huge trophies harvested on private ranches while others resent them. Some only want bowhunting, and are offended if rifle or muzzleloader hunts are included. Rifle hunters dismiss bowhunting videos because they don't apply to them. Some viewers get provoked by recreated scenes, scripted dialog, or background music. Others find these touches may enhance the storytelling, without turning the video into a lie. The bottom line -You can't please everybody.

Sponsors - Sponsors on DVDs are pretty much a fact of life. Some companies handle it better than others. I get a chance to work with a lot of new production companies and often they are so thrilled to even have a sponsor that they tend to gush. They also often are not getting paid, but rather are just receiving some free or discounted gear. I think the key is not to let the sponsor's message get in the way of the video.

Technical - Overall, the technical quality of hunting videos is very good, especially when compared to what was available in the early days. Equipment is always getting better, and good equipment is now within reach of most new producers. Like anything else, experience shows. The more time behind the camera a guy has, the better he tends to be. The same can generally be said about the guy in front of the camera. It is not unusual to see marked improvement from year to year with new production companies.

Wow! I didn't mean to go on so long! Have a great Thanksgiving everybody.

-- FLIX