Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you have done?

Old 01-23-2003, 11:39 AM

Default RE: What would you have done?

Mr. Cyclone.

My knife did not cut the heart because I pulled the heart out with my bare hands!!! I did not cut through the sternum but reached my arm into the chest cavity and removed the heart and lungs. Maybe I did not describe it properly, but the arrow entered just behind the leg toward the center of the body. The deer was around 20 to 25 yards away and I was between 25 and 30 feet up a big pine tree. It did not hit the big flat part of the blade but in the "V" located above the front leg. I don't know how to describe it, but that is where the arrow entered. I could not believe the entry hole.

Anyway, that was not the point of this thread. The point was that the arrow did not indicate the true nature of the hit and that sometimes what may appear to a bad hit, may have been an extremely lethal hit. I considered all the evidence before I cautiosly began the tracking of the animal. I was ready to back away for several hours and not take a chance of jumping the deer from it's bed. But as I sat there and tried to piece together what happened, I decided to slowly and quietly search the first 20 or 30 yards. When I found the blood trail, I knew it was over.

I butcher all my deer, so when I get to that shoulder, I will see if it actually hit any bone. The entrance hole was large and it was difficult to see exactly where the broadhead entered. I was thinking that may have explained why my arrow exited so far back. It is possible the deer was angling more than I thought, but I thought it was nearly broadside. This was NOT a sharp quartering toward me shot!!!

One other thing, the doe had milk. She was a large doe and she did have another deer with her which was close to 3/4 her size. She did not have a lot of milk, but she definately had milk. She was also very fat. I ate the tenderloin for lunch today, and boy was that good. I've got some jerky going and my wife is cooking a roast from the deer.

Edited by - Esau on 01/23/2003 12:54:05
Old 01-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Esau I think I know exactly where you hit, one question when the arrow hit/you released was her leg back?

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I'm glad you got the doe and I'm sure it tastes great. Not trying to be a S.A.!

We're obviously having a difficulty in describing/understanding where and how this deer was struck. Now you said "broadside or slightly quartering to" in your original post, 30' up at 25yds in another. Did you hit high? low? If that arrow tucked in behind the shoulder blade then angled through the lung, liver, and stomach, I can't see how it hit the heart. If it happened to tuck in front of the shoulder blade(between the brisket and the point of the shoulder), well then, at that angle it makes sense..Let's try this again..

~Will Hunt For Food~
Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 PM

Unfotunately this type of stuff does happen what you do next is how you will be judged. 1st: An animal that is run completely through its body cavity by an arrow will almost always die. 2nd: A hit like this throgh the guts will take awhile to kill the animal but will eventually. 3rd: Don't push the animal back out of the area and let the animal bed down and die. 4th: Come back with friends to track or search depending on the sign. Extra sets of eyes are always better. A few years back I unfortunately gut shot an elk after realizing the hit was no good we backed out and returned the next day to find the elk dead a few hundred yards away.