HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Help with Coyotes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/218415-help-coyotes.html)

BlueByYou2000 11-19-2007 07:05 AM

Help with Coyotes

So I sat all weekend for Wisonsins opener. Have trail cam pics of 2 nice shooters and all we saw was one small basket rack 4 point. I just couldnt believe it and tried to figure out why. So I took a stroll around our property and found 2 dead dear (yearling does) completely destroyed by coytoes. Hair, blood, stink, and dead deer body parts everywhere. I though maybe these deer were hit by cars, but upon further insection and seeing a downed log loaded with Coyote poop I knew what killed these deer. It just makes me sick to spend the amount of time and money I did to have it all ruined by Coyotes. The woods reek of death so Im pretty sure my chances of seeing deer are really not good.

What is the best way to deplete this Coyote herd? Anyone have some suggestions?

furgitter 11-19-2007 07:25 AM

RE: Help with Coyotes

I trap coyotes among other animals for a living. Let me know when you would like me to start the job.

bryant1 11-19-2007 07:31 AM

two things- a rifle and a animal distress call. pile them up

MarkfromNWMO 11-19-2007 09:05 AM

Every Feb. I go to a processor and get a bucket of chicken guts and det up a blind at a field edge where I can see along way then I play distress calls... We have gotten lots of coyotes off the farm that way. I have also had good luck just using a turkey call in Dec. through Feb.
they usually come right into that.... just chatter and make turkey sounds, it doesnt matter what the caddence is... good luck!

Tuco 11-19-2007 10:52 AM

Gut shoot them and let the run off and die! BAM!

diamondaranch 11-19-2007 12:17 PM

Get a rooster and put him in a cage where you are seeing the coyotes. Set off about 200 yards and boom....your in business. That rooster will be pissed and the coyotes should come running to him.

Works for us.

best of luck

drogerm 11-19-2007 12:27 PM

Hang out over where you dump your guts from quartered deer! They tear that stuff up.

lonewolfhunter 11-19-2007 01:31 PM

where are you from in wisconsin? if you don't have the time to hunt off a gut pile or call them in, put afoot trap. you'll have more coyotes then you'll know what to do with

furgitter 11-19-2007 04:08 PM

Foothold traps are effective. But only if you know how to use it.

Centauri 11-19-2007 05:15 PM

I agree with all the people who use gut piles. Once you lure em in, BAM!!

(PS: Gutshoot em. Max amount of suffering, no deer being eaten. Its what they deserve)