Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Cleaning

Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Deer Cleaning

What's the best way to field dress a deer, in steps, I've always just started cutting, and tried not to hit the poop sack lol thanks.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Default RE: Deer Cleaning

Check out this link: Click Here

Pops
Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Fickly: Use this method only if you are close to your vehicle. If you need to drag or carry your animal for a distance make a incision close to the rib cage just big enough to get the goodies out. I cut the diaphram and remove the heart and lungs. This way you don't get dirt in the cavity when you are dragging him. When you get to the truck you can then open him up and finish removing broncial tube,anus,bladder and colon.

Pops
Old 11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just do it any way i feel like it...sorry i cant help on this one...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Start from the bottom and work toward the top, then pull the whole works out. Less than 2 minutes from start to finish.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice, Oldpops. I would follow this to the letter and you won't go wrong.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Oldpops, Thanks for posting that link. As a new hunter the one thing I've been most concerned about is being able to properly field dress the deer.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 PM

I do the same as IAhuntr and it works great
Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 PM

I find you need a wyoming knife or a knife with a gut hook and smooth blade. First start at the rib cage and use the regular blade to cut an opening. The bone will stop your blade from cutting in to deep. Now switch to the gut hook and slide it downward to the anus only cutting the outer skin. Once again use the smooth edge to cut a small openingtoexposed the sack just below the rib cage. Carefully slide the hook again down to the anus. Now the guts are exposed but not cut yet. Reach up into the cavity and grab upward toward the lungs and get a good handful. Pull until it is coming out enough to have to cut the top to seperate it. While the deer is laying on it's side, now continue to pull the guts outward and down until all clears the cavity. It will still be connected at the bottom end. When all is clear, reach up inside the lowerm cavity and make sure you have all of the bladder and intestine clear and cut as close as you can the the anus on the inside. The little that might excape will not hurt your meat.
After you get back to camp just rinse the cavity best you can till you can finish cleaning it properly.
Her is an old field dress proceedure starting at the bottom. Both work. Just find startingat the top is easier now.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/FieldDressDeer.html
Good Luck,
Eric S. Stacy
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I would love to see a video of someone field dressing a deer in 2 minutes.

Quick Reply: Deer Cleaning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.