Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do does make scrapes

Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM

Default do does make scrapes

i just retrieved my camera this morning. i placed the camera over a scrape. i have a picture of a doe standing on her rear legs licking the branch above the scrape. is this a sign that she is in heat or what. last i checked the bucks mainly made the scrapes. can anyone enlighten me on this.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do does make scrapes

In general, they don't "make" newscrapes, but theywill mark in bucks existing scrapes,especially when they are entering estrous.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 AM

She's just posting on the buck's personal ad, that's all.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Does do "make" scrapes. Opposed to bucks, does generally will use their hind legs (hoofs) to make them. Also, scrapes created by does are not as defined as bucks. They usually are smaller and not as clean (removing most if not all of the ground debris like a scrape created by a buck).

There is little understanding to the reason and for what purpose. One of the strongest arguments (term used very lightly in this case) is a form of communication in regards to their social status. How often this occurs is also another unknown.

As stated by IAhunter, does do and will freshen buck scrapes. They generally do this as a calling card when she has come into heat. The purpose is to let any buck in the area that may use the scrape know that sheis around and looking to breed.