Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What % of the time...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Spike

Default What % of the time...

... do you see deer in the stand? I've been in the woods about 25 times this year, and I have only seen 3 deer. 2 were together! So, I've seen deer about 1 out of every 12 times. I've hunted out of a total of 7 stands and have rotated so I have been in each of them for a morning hunt and afternoon. I'm just curious if this is a common occurence or do the deerjust know I'm a good SHOT! Everyone is always telling me about how they saw 10 does, 3 buck and a bunch of spikes, etcand I never ever see more than 3-4 in a hunt. Then again I've never had a friend talk about howmuch money they LOST in Las Vegas. Or is it like when you go fishing, catch 3 1-lb fish, but by the time you get home it ends up being a 1-lb'er, a 3-lb'er and a 5-lb'er?

Just curious.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What % of the time...

I think its probably like the fish stories. Although, there are people who have access to those areas that are better than anything. Seein all those deer in one sitting.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Been out 9 times this year.Here's my log

am 1 doe--50 yds
pm 2 does--35-40 yds too dark to shoot
am 3 does--35 yds brisket shot, searched 4 hrs, no recovery
am 16 does, 4 bucksdeer everywhere, very exciting, did not shoot
am 5 bucks--10-30 yds shot 8 pt at 30 yds, only went 40 yds
pm 1 buck 8pt--160 yds blackpowder hunted on the ground
pm 9 does, 3 bucks--150-200 yds bp on the ground
am 1 buck 6 pt--20 yds too young
pm 5 does, 1 spike--173 yds shot doe with bp from ground

I'veseen a lot more deer this year, but it has taken several years to get stands, blinds, travel routes, etc figured out.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see deer about 99% of the time in my areas, but that's not saying I see deer I would take 99% of the time.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Spike

Geez, can I come hunt with you sometime?[8D] That's incredible! Of the 3 deer I saw, 1 was a forked horn and the other was a LITTLE fawn. So, only one shootable deer this whole year.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have been out aprox. 25 times I have been 2 times without seeing deer
Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drogerm

... do you see deer in the stand? I've been in the woods about 25 times this year, and I have only seen 3 deer. 2 were together! So, I've seen deer about 1 out of every 12 times. I've hunted out of a total of 7 stands and have rotated so I have been in each of them for a morning hunt and afternoon. I'm just curious if this is a common occurence or do the deerjust know I'm a good SHOT! Everyone is always telling me about how they saw 10 does, 3 buck and a bunch of spikes, etcand I never ever see more than 3-4 in a hunt. Then again I've never had a friend talk about howmuch money they LOST in Las Vegas. Or is it like when you go fishing, catch 3 1-lb fish, but by the time you get home it ends up being a 1-lb'er, a 3-lb'er and a 5-lb'er?

Just curious.
I feel your pain. I've hunted an entire week before w/out seeing anything. I don't mind it too much. I just enjoy being out there-better than being in the office. My dad when he was growing up said that it was a big deal if ANYONE he knew killed a deer because they were that scarce.

I don't always see deer now, I'd say every other time out I'll get skunked. That being said, I like it that way. I have no desire to set and watch a field full of deer and "pick" the one that I want.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Very rarely do I ever not see a single deer.... Usually I see between 1 and 4....
Opening day last year, I I counted 24 deer shooting the 24th at 3o pm on that opening day....
It varies, but I usually always see deer, its a good spot.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I've had years back in the late 80's and early 90's where you'd see 25 to 30 deer in a single day....gun or bow season.

The last 5 years or so, I've been hard pressed to get my eyes on any more than 6 or 7 in any one given day, give or take. And that's on a good day. I'm not sure if it's the area's deer populus, the fact that coyote and wolf numbers are rising at crazy levels, that there's less hunting pressure, or what. That's the reason why so many WI residents have a tough time swallowing the DNR's statements of more deer in these same areas than there has ever been before.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I see deer every time I go out. The deer are everywhere here in the south. I usually see about 30-50/day. The problem is seeing shooters. I saw around 120 deer this past weekend and only 2 were shooters.

Quick Reply: What % of the time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.