Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

VA Hunters

Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default VA Hunters

Just wanted to see how all you Virginia hunters out here are doing. I'm frmo VA and hunt a 270 acre whitetail paradise in Bath County. How 'bout the rest of you guys?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VA Hunters

I took this past week off,for vacation. I hunted about everyday. Either full days or half days. I saw quite a few deer, but not many big bucks. I was hoping the rut would be in full swing. Looks like the rut may be in full swing in the next week or two. Have seen quite a few scrapes being worked. I haven't seen many does being chased as of yet. I have a lease in Madison County. Lots of deer and big bucks. A fellow member shot a decent 10 point this past Thursday. Traveling by himself around 10am. I did bag my first archery deer on the final day of the season. A decent 5 pointwith my newly acquired Excal Pheonix. I hope my luck changes going forward. Only a few more days of BP and then comes rifle season. 12 days after rifle season comes in, then come the dogs and the big boys are gone.

I hunted 2 different pieces of ground on opening day BP. Madison County and Culpepper County. I couldn't believe my ears but the outlaws were running dogs already. I hope they all got busted, and this just give more justification to outlaw this practice.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my second year in VA and still havent been able to go yet. Spent last year moving in and visiting family and this year Im stuck here in Kuwait until the end of Dec.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM

I am hunting in Alleghany County next weekend. Hoping to bag my first deer. I'll be on a fairly large farm that backs up to a mountain. There are tons of deer there, the only question is whether they will be scared from muzzleloading season.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Don't worry about them being scared from muzzleloader season, just last Saturday I shot a doe at dusk that was with another doe. At the shot, following the bang flop of doe #1, doe #2 ran to doe #1, then walked in the woods and up to me, took a while to get her to leave. Lots of times I have shot deer and had others just stand there or even walk towards me. So long as you aren't seen they don't tend to get to ruffled. You'll be fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

I haven't hunted deer in 15 years. I'm coming back home (I'll be on the road Saturday) this weekend and I can't wait. We (family and friends) have property all over NoVa and I'm "too excited to sleep." EVERY report I've received has been phenomenal and just fuels the excitement. The bear reports have been just as promising as the deer reports. I'll be hunting Madison, Orange, Spotsylvania, Culpeper, Fauquier and maybe Fairfax county. I pray that my preparation meets opportunity. Sunday I plan on doing some scouting on some PRIME real estate in Culpeper county that I've been given permission to hunt. Monday, that's where I intend to give it my best shot.

I'll kick the covers all night, every night for the rest of the week just thinking about it!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

Haven't had much time to hunt this year. Hopefully Thursday and Friday will present an opportunity.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey i hunt amherst, bedford, and montville and was able to take a big bodied 3-pointer on opening day muzzleloader on my place in bedford but havent seen anything else since then. Pumped about opening rifle season on Sat. and im going to my 1600 acres in amherst. talk to yall later.

Happy Hunting!!!