Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Acorn rage

Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Acorn rage

Before I ask my question, I am going to explaing the scenario briefly. I have see other posts on this site where people really frown on baiting... I am hunting in Stephens county near Possum Kindom lake and I am on a steep hill side covered in post oaks and lots of Cedars. Too be honest, the land I hunt needs a good fire. Anyway, there are so many acorns on the ground right now the deer don't have to move much and when they do they move at night. I have been trying to use acorn rage to draw the deer out since I cannot quitely stalk them where they are living.

The acorn rage has been out for going on two weeks and they have not touched it. Has anyone else used acorn rage? What was you opinion of it? Do you have any suggestions of something that would work better?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Acorn rage

The stuff is a waste of money.You are better off using corn.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

I've spent way too much money trying gimmick bait like Acorn Rage, Stump Lick'r, C'mere Deer etc. I've noticed in the area I hunt in South Carolina that it almost seems as if the deer kick the stuff off of the corn. I've tried all of them in any way you can, pouring on corn, beside corn, under corn, on stumps or logs......doesn't matter. Only thing the deer around me touch is corn.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Corn is golden acorns didn't you know. And a lot cheaper by the pound.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Spike

I recieved a free bag of it. Suprisingly, the deer loved it. I had apples, corn, and sugar beets for my bait pile on my meat stand. I put a handeful of this stuff over the buffet and climbed up into my stand. I had deer come in, and lick off the beets and apples, and shovel the corn out of the way. I then tried it on a runway stand i hunt, it pulled doe's in off a different runway 40 yards away. I left the bag at the base of the tree, they came right under me and was pawing at the bag. I was amazed. But, I still wont pay for it
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 PM

I put out a bag of acorn rage and a pile of corn in from of by Cudde Back. I got pictures and video of deer on the acorn rage none were on the pile of corn. The piles were about 5 ft apart. Picures of some of the largest coons I ever saw on the corn. Was shocked they chose the Acorn Rage over the corn but it wasnt even close.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Buckstomper,

I'm having the same problem you are and I hunt about 60 miles east of your area near Lake Bridgport. Given that we probably have similar surroundings, I think the weather is our biggest issue right now. I feed my deer year round and they basically stopped coming to corn around the beginning of October. Just way too many acorns on the ground and they don't have to move much to get them.

I tried a variety of these different attractants the last few weeks. I put different ones at different spots and had cameras on all of them. I bought C'Mere Deer, Buck Rage, Acorn Rage, Block Toppers, and a couple of others. Though the deer seemed to sample all of them, the corn was still what they wanted most.

The deer on my place in Wise county seem to be completely nocturnal right now and seemed to feed between 10pm and 4am. I have not had a buck on camera during daylight hours since September. The rut should be in full swing right now, but I don't know how much that's helping as I hunted sun-up to sun-down for three days last weekend. The wind hurt quite a bit, but coupled with low temps around 70, the deer just don't seem to be moving during daylight.

Of course, like you, I could use a good fire. I had too much brush before our record rains this year. There are areas on my place where the broom weed is higher than the roof of my truck. Hard to see deer in those types of conditions.

My suggestion is to save your money. I spent about $100 that I don't think has paid well at all. I will say that the hogs seem to really like to sweet block toppers (which has caused a new problem at my feeders).
Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried Acorn Rage and the deer ignored it. They however, love the turnips that we planted a couple of months ago.

The problem with something like Acorn Rage, as I see it, is that if you use it in an area where acorns are present, why should they go to it? And if you use it in an area where there arent' any oaks with acorns, won't they get skiddish about going to something that they don't know what it is?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought only one bag of Acorn Rage because its so expensive, like 13$ for a bag, but when i used it the deer absolutely loved it. I put it out about a week or so before the acorns in our area started to fall, so i guess they were craving the taste cause we usually have an awesome acorn crop.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

why would they come into crushed acorns when they have acorns all around them with no artificial minerals.........wow someone made a mint when they created that waste of hunters money.

Quick Reply: Acorn rage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.