Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do younger bucks start chasing before the BIG BOYS? >

Do younger bucks start chasing before the BIG BOYS?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do younger bucks start chasing before the BIG BOYS?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do younger bucks start chasing before the BIG BOYS?

I'm in the camp that say you see younger bucks chasing first due to immaturity. I have always believed mature bucks breed mature does first, its just a case of the little ones jumping the gun and really not knowing what to do. Also young deer are always more visible due to the lack of life skills.

Prior to full blown rut mature whitetails here tend a doe that is close to estrus, in this period mature animals of anysex are scarce. Then like a light switch things start rolling and deer magically re-appear.

Mulie's here are like clock work, you see little ones with groups of does and then all of sudden the little ones is still with the does but now their is a grand dada running the show. This change typically happens around the second week of Nov. and that big guy will stay with those does until they are all bred (adding to them as it goes along - well into december) or he is replaced!!

Though I do believe the immature do agood share of breeding,do to sheer numbersand they present less of a challenge to the dominate buckand can sneak inon the doe while the big guys is fending off true challengers. Especially in herded animals.