Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would this be O.K.?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Would this be O.K.?

I've read a lot of similar threads on this topic, but I think that this maybe a little different.

This weekend is opening weekend for gun season here in KY. For the first time in a few years the weather actually looks pretty nice. It will be mid to low 30's and highs in the mid 50's. The last few years temps have gotten into the 60's. In the past years at deer camp we have always taken the precaution to either quarter the deer, or skin it and wrap it with frozen water bottles.

Now for the question. If a deer were to be taken on Saturday morning will it be o.k. to let that deer hang just field dressed inside of a cool barn until Sunday afternoon when we leave? I'm thinking that it should be o.k. since it will get to around freezing that night. At most I think that Imaywant to place some frozen jugs in the cavity, but I don't think that I will have to skin it or quarter it. It will probably only be above 50 for a couple of hours in the afternoon.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would this be O.K.?

alot of people in temps below 50 will let it age for more than 2 days. so iwould say as long it isnt above 60 you should be fine. it will also be easier to skin if you do it as soon as you can. so skin it and hang it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Would this be O.K.?

Yes, what you're proposing would be fine, as long as the carcass gets cooled decently that first night. Ventilation is critical. Hanging the deer in a barn is a good idea, keep the sun off of it. Leave the hide on. With lows in the 30's, a deer should get adequately cooled overnight, then it's hide would provide insulation to keep the meat cool enough to avoid spoilage.