Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

got a question

Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: got a question

ORIGINAL: ir655

That's pretty messed up, I thought you were allowed to retrieve wounded animals on adjoining properties if they wondered off that way...guess not eh?

Don't think about it too much, there are going to be plenty of opportunities and better deer. He will get what's coming for him, Karma baby!
You can retrieve wounded aminals from other property, with the property owners consent, otherwise its tresspassing. Yeah the guys is acting like a complete A hole, but it technically is his deer.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that's bullsh*t!! Technically he could probably legally keep it, but if it was me, I would have let you have your deer. Regardless of the finer points of whatever the law may be there, I would still consider it "your" deer. What a butthole. Don't sweat that jerk. I know it was your first and that sucks. But you'll get another one. Prolly even a bigger one!

chris
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

that sucks.[:'(][:'(][:'(]But in missouri a wounded animal doesnt give you rights to trespass. not saying you were but he probablly had the legal rights to the deer. Ethically hes a real poohead.sorry it happened but keep your chin up
Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Great White, I feel your pain and know firsthand the frustration as I hada similar thing happen to me this past weekend.

I hunt public land that is adjacent to my family's private land, the landowner to the west of my family's private land has a big hunting party every opening weekend - a few of whom are teenagers.

Anyway, I had been watching an 8ptr since late September but never got him within bow range during bow season (wind conditions, etc.). Rifle opener was this past Saturday and knew this buck's normal routine. Sure enough as soon as the sun peeked over the tree tops, the 8ptr came walking out of an area that was clear cut 2 years ago.

I had my crosshairs on him and took the shot as soon as he cleared some of the new growth. I tagged him behind the shoulder (admittedly a tad high), knocked him down and watched him run and lay down. Another guy in my party (hunting the private land) immediately walked to my stand, which causedthe buck get up and run again.

We waited a bit longer to track him and while tracking him we heard 2 shots directly in front of us. My buddy decided to stop tracking because of the shots, but I trudged on, found the standand the hunter (one of the teens calling his dad on the walkie-talkie ecstatic). I did not approach him and went back to my stand. Later, Isaw the deer hanging in the neighbors garage.

My take, my shot was high and was not immediately fatal so it was rightfully the other guy's deer regardless of the "fair chase" doctrine.

What I learned, I need to shoot my rifle more during the off-season,wait longer to track, and setup a few stands for bow season to account for wind conditions so "my buck" doesn't make it to rifle season.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just to play the Devil's Advocate here, where do you think that you hit the deer. If it was limping badly then it sounds like just a leg shot and the thing could have run for miles. Under those circumstances the guy may have done both you and the deer a favor. Or, it may not have been limping or bleeding as badly as you thought andthe guy just took a shot at what he saw, a running deer. In Illinois where I hunt, most folks would give the deer to the person that actually brought it down. But then again, if it is a really big rack it might get ugly.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I shot it right behind the left shoulder/elbow, crosshairs were on the vitals. I said I thought it was a high shot because I found some lung (I believe) while tracking it, actually at the first pool. There was quite a bit of blood, where the deer laid down (2 different times).

My mistake, not waiting long enough before tracking it, I'm pretty sure we pushed it to him instead of letting it lay downto die.

Icould notagree more, if the deer was wounded the other guy did it a favor.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Something tells me that if that deerwould've been a scrubby basket 6'er or a forkhorn, it may have wound up yours. That's how some people are. You just have to hold onto the satisfaction of knowing everytime that guy looks at his wallmount he thinks about the guy who should probablyhave it...

I've seen near fist-fights go on at public land in WIover this same kind scenario.

Just gotta hope your deer drops where you shoot it.

You'd be trespassing in WI by going after it, too. I don't know of anywhere where there's "eminant domain" once you wound an animal of any type while hunting.

Live and learn...