Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mountain Lion

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default Mountain Lion

We've found some tracks and are pretty sure there is a mountain lion on our property and some of the neighbors'. At least one neighbor has actually seen it.

Think this will effect our seeing deer at all?

It is bow season right now, and while I haven't been able to get out much, I will be extra cautious this weekend. Our rifle season opens Nov 10.

It is my understanding that we are not allowed to shoot mountain lions unless we are being attacked or feel directly threatened. I'm concerned because I have several small cousins who ride atvs and dirt bikes on trails in the woods and my father-in-law takes his dog over there all the time. Plus, I don't want to be attacked walking to or from my stand in the dark.

I'm certainly not going to avoid the woods because of this, I was just curious about everyone's thoughts and if anyone had had this type of issue before.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lion

I had the same thing on my the property I was hinting behind my parents house two years ago. My parents saw it several times and As my dad would work in his garden after dark more than once he sould shine a spotlight at the pines behind the house and it would be sitting there 30 yards from him just watching. Dad wasn't scared because they are much more scared of us then we are of them. But it is still intimadating hearing that scream they let out right before dawn.

The deer though never even flinched we killed several and saw deer every day almost.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM

should not effect you seeing deer.
there is mountian lions all over west texas and south texas.
there is many more of them than some people belive.
they just are Rarely seen.
they move at night, they dont come to corn, they stay in the brush...
most will go there entire life without ever being seen my a human.. even on some heavily
hunted ranches.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JIMRABY

should not effect you seeing deer.
there is mountian lions all over west texas and south texas.
there is many more of them than some people belive.
they just are Rarely seen.
they move at night, they dont come to corn, they stay in the brush...
most will go there entire life without ever being seen my a human.. even on some heavily
hunted ranches.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Shouldnt affect seeing deer. A few have migrated thru where I grew up. Just one more predator to kill off the weak ones.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never seen one, If I did I'd probably feel threatened and shoot it... Before hauling ass.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

here kitty kitty,,i would like to see him in my garden,,if hes watching your dad in the garden ,,hint,, hes not scared of you,,,helloooo,just waiting to pounce,,i have had them follow me down the trail back to the truck in northern new mexico ,on turkey hunts,,stayed bout 75 yds back just checking me out ,,but if he past the 30 yd mark it would be smoke time.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

If you see this mountain lion and it has a black coat, be sure and get a picture
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've recently learned that mountain lion has moved into the area we deer hunt this year. I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about walking through the woods before first light trying to get to my deer stand.....[8D]
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM

The mountain lion won't bother you. What I do for piece of mind is shine my flashlight all the way up the tree in the morning before I climb up to make sure I won't have any unwanted company. I carry a .38 in my fanny pack as well just in case.

Quick Reply: Mountain Lion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.