Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Have we gotten out of control?!?! >

Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Old 10-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Have we gotten out of control?!?!

I was in BassPro the other day and I saw something that made me shake my head. There was a guy in there buying and entire outfit for hunting. I caught some of it and i couldn't believe what i was hearing.

[ul][*]Gore-Tex, Sent-Lock, Mossy Oak jacket, Price $350[*]Gore-Tex, Scent-Lock, Mossy Oak bibs, $250[*]Matching UnderArmour Top, $50[*]Matching UnderArmour Bottoms, $50[*]Gore-tex gloves, $40 a pair[*]Scent-Lock,Gore-tex Boots with thinsilate, $250[*]Brand New T/C icon Rifle with a Leupold VX-7 Scope (probably a nearly $2500 rig, right?)[*]and the list goes on, The lady at the register told a total of something like $4200.[/ul]
The question is, whats the deal with a $4000 dolar bill to go hunt deer. I hunted out of Hand-me down stuff for quite a while. I just got my girlfriend all the gear she is going to need, (except the rifle, i didn't have to buy that, had plenty to choose from.) With just a little of shoping around, we got a jacket and bibs for $60. And her boots were $50.

I might just be carrying on here, but do others see the same thing here. I mean why do you need to pay $100 for a set of fancy 'long-johns' and, why are the camo. Do deer have x-ray vision now a days?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

I guess if money isnt a problem then why not? i personally use hand - me - downs and lots of layers!!!!

he probably buys all new gear each year!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

hey, i agree. but if ya have the money, im sure people, maybe even you, would do the same. why do people buy 67000 dollar trucks when they can buy one for 20 thou? i guess if this guy is making 750 grand a year, 4000 bucks comes easily and goes easily. i know i wouldnt lol, becuase i cant. but let me say this, all that stuf isnt necessary to kill deer. might make him feel that it is, or maybe it gives him a slight edge, but alot of layers and an external camo pattern is all you need, IMO. I guess he makes alot of funny, or atleast i hope he does. lol
Old 10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

alot of money***
Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in the military, so money is hard to come by. My used issue stuff work pretty well most of the time too. I just cant drop 4K on stuff and not feel bad about it. 4k is 1/2 of what i paid for my jeep!!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Spike

That is a rip off even if you have the money...All of my hunting gear probably costs maybe 100$ because most of it is hand-me-downs and it works fine for me.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bad information if I had to guess. He/She is probably just starting out and someone convinced them that they HAD to have scent lok clothing and all that other garbage... makes you wonder how our grandfathers ever killed anything huh?

To each his own I guess...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

No way! on God's green earth would I spend that on hunting gear or anything else for that matter but if he had it to give and felt good afterwards, then so be it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

It'll all be on e-Bay or in a garage sale in six months, tops... for a total of about $1100.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would guess it's someone who has more money than he knows what to do with and is going on a ranch hunt somewhere and it's his first time hunting.

Quick Reply: Have we gotten out of control?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.