Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 your thoughts on this hunting set-up >

your thoughts on this hunting set-up

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

your thoughts on this hunting set-up

Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default your thoughts on this hunting set-up

This is my first post, though I've been lurking for some time.

I'm wondering if I correctly placed one of my ground blinds for rifle season.

It faces south into the predominate winds. It overlooks a grassy shelf running east-west along a steep, wooded ravine. The gulch is steep enough to impede deer movement, though not entirely. Based on the trails. Some of them run the gulch, while others apparently come up the slope and run the shelf. Now, this property is on the bluffs of the Missouri river, the river itself about 300 yds. to the east. I think the deer are feeding there in the bottoms and then moving up the ravine and shelf to bed on the slopes.

Because of the terrain, seeing the bottom of the ravine requires putting a blind in the middle of the shelf. If I put a blind there, it means the deer would be seeing a new obstacle in a previously open area, within a few feet of the trail. Could that be done this late without spooking deer (Season doesn't start till Nov. 29th)? Is it even a wise move?

If I have to choose either shelf or ravine, which should I pick? I chose to overlook the shelf, but don't know if that's the right choice. Incidentally, my goal is a buck. My first deer was a doe taken last year. The goal here is to take a deer with antlers. I'm not looking for a trophy.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Default RE: your thoughts on this hunting set-up

The terrain feature you're describing is known as a "bench". They are awesome for deer. Make sure you have a good view of the bench, from downwind, and most important - PLAN FOR A REST AIM. With some patience and perserverance you should nail a buck.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your thoughts on this hunting set-up

ORIGINAL: waiting_for_a_gift

Make sure you have a good view of the bench, from downwind, and most important - PLAN FOR A REST AIM.
The stand is set up directly downwind with shooting lanes, and I've already been thinking about something to use as a rest. Thanks for the input.