Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hoqw long till 1st harvest?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Hoqw long till 1st harvest?

I've been deer hunting now going on my 4th yr. I still have yet to harvest a deer. Granted I don't go all the time, I do go most every saturday during the season. I've been reading every hunting magazine I can get my hands on, and reading every single article and watching every single video on this site. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or maybe it's just not "my time yet"..... My wife is starting to say if I don't bring one home this year, then I need to give up. Guys, I need any advice I can get. I've even been target shooting all summer with muzzleloader and my bow. I'm dead on with both, and I goucs on scent, as well as stand location and wind direction. This is driving me nuts!

So the question is:

" How long was it until each of you got their FIRST deer? "
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hoqw long till 1st harvest?

It took me 4 days to get the first one with my bow and I got my first one with the rifle on the last weekend of rifle season but I was only hunting the weekends. 10 deer so far in my first five years of hunting. I think you need to find a better spot, or a better state to hunt in[8D]
Old 10-28-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: travisville

It took me 4 days to get the first one with my bow and I got my first one with the rifle on the last weekend of rifle season but I was only hunting the weekends. 10 deer so far in my first five years of hunting. I think you need to find a better spot, or a better state to hunt in[8D]
I think a big part of it is the spot as well. I need connections. Someone in VA please put me on a deer!

Here's a pic of the area I've been scouting and I've bowhunted this past week. Saw a nice 6pt. wednesday but had to head to work so couldn't stalk him after I spooked him.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you enjoy being in the woods? Tell your wife its not about the harvest. its about reconnecting with nature. Its the enjoyment of peace and solitude. and its not a completely unsuccessful hunt if you have seen deer. I have been bowhunting for 3 years and have not taken one with my bow yet. mainly because i am picky and am managing my land.
If you love hunting your wife should be supportive of you. with her telling you you need to quit it will not help you any by putting that kind of pressure on ya.
Just be patient and relax and enjoy your time in the great outdoors.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

It's all about being out there in the deer woods,the harvest just makes it sweeter. Hang in there and watch the wind.
Bill
Old 10-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't give up on the spot you have but I would seriously suggest that you maximize your hunting time by hunting ALL DAY. I feel that this is one of THE biggest mistakes most folks ake on public land. This can many times change your results and your future as a successful deer hunter. Good luck and good huntin'
Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Should I stay in stand all day or relocate for the evening hunt?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:55 PM

my first deer was luck, i guess. i put my stand up the second day of the first shot gun season, went out the next morning and wasn't in my stand 20 minutes before a button buck walked up and gave me about a 4 yard shot. that was when i was 15. then things got realistic with me! i was 24 before i got my first bow kill, then 3 weeks after that i got shipped to iraq. the hunting season after i returned, i shot 2 with my bow, which was last year.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

It's hard to know whether to tell you to move around or stay since we really don't know what type of area you're hunting. If you stay all day in your stand, and you're in a spot that has some deer movement, sooner or later one will give you a shot. Have you identifeid the food sources and bedding areas? That's the key if you just want any deer...if you want a buck, find where the does spend most of their time and hang out there all day. The closer to the rut we get, the more chance you have of catching a buck moving around checking for hot does.

I hunted two years before I killed my first, with a gun. I hunted about 5 years before I was able to kill one with a bow.
Is baiting legal in VA?

GH
Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Spike

I live in va . my ? is the same as above where are you putting your stand ,is it close to water \food ? All though ive never hunted around the chickahominy, I can tell you if you set up around water or now that the temps are fallingthe rut will be kicking in if it hadn't already in your area . Do some more scouting and find a good rub line or fresh scrapes an set up on them .another tip for hunting public landyou want to be in you stand all day because alot of people leave their stands aroud 10 to get something to eat an then they come back into hunt the afternoon. So if your in your stand while they are walking around you stand a good chance of them pushing a deer you way .I hope thiswill help you .back to you 1st ? It took me 7 years before i took my first buck ,so dont letit get you down . again good luck and be patient . Grasshopper it is not legal here to bait.

Quick Reply: Hoqw long till 1st harvest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.