Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Redneck vs. Outdoorsmen

Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Redneck vs. Outdoorsmen

One of my hunting buddies said the other day that he believes there are two kinds of hunter. Ignorant rednecks and quality outdoorsmen. He said ignorant (note that he didn't say stupid, as the too are often confused, ignorance is simply lacking knowlege) hunters are those who are out there just to kill while outdoorsmen understand the importance of being in the wood's and the importance of respecting god's creatures and creation. Any thoughts on this, i'm not quite sure where i stand
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Redneck vs. Outdoorsmen

Here's what I think

http://huntmdown.com/keith_yourdecisions.html
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Wahoo, there are sh!tbag hunters on both sides of the mason-dixon, and"rednecks" as you say, in my experience are mostly "quality outdoorsmen".
Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM

Could there be a class of hunters that are considered as "Redneck Outdoorsmen"? What you have referred to as "rednecks" I usually call jackasses
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jkelly

Could there be a class of hunters that are considered as "Redneck Outdoorsmen"? What you have referred to as "rednecks" I usually call jackasses

maybe "Quality Rednecks!?"
Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Fork Horn

Okay, let me try to make my point a little clearer. Your buddy says the two classes of hunters are rednecksvs. quality outdoorsmen. To me, this shows a little ignorance on his part. The classes he should bereferring to are ignorant hunters vs. quality outdoorsmen, whether people would consider someone a "redneck" or not is completely irrelevant to the issue of irresponsibility in the woods. Just what exactly is a "redneck" to you anyway? A drunk, dirty, pot bellied buffoon living in a trailer park burning trash in his front yard? Where I come from, just about every red blooded, God fearing, hard working,flag waving country boy with a pick up truck and a skoal ring blaring Bocephuswould be considered a "redneck" to you, I'm sure. However, down home country southrons are just as educated about and respectful ofour sportas any uppity billy yank. We don't look down our noses, but we are damn proud of our culture and hold our heads up high for sure. I think you need to realize that Larry the Cable Guy is a comedy routine, not a documentary of an entire culture. The a$$holes you're buddy is thinking of as rednecks are nothing but white trash with no self-respect, and they can be found anywhere in the country.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

Oh how the term "redneck" has evolved: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

Funny though, how one side of the fence sees it as an insult, whereas the other side sees it as a badge of honor.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for2 reasons and one reasons only..
1. fill the deepfreeze......I don't eat anything but wild game......
2.big big racks.........
Thats it thats all.........
As far as respecting gods creachers, I respect them so much that I will cancel my tag or add to my daily bag limit if I was to every loose a wounded one...
Bottem line thats all you can ask for ........
As far as for being in the woods alpine etc climate season,weather,other hunters,and taking it all in.......Frankly,could care less about it, its just an obstical I have to deal with to get to my main goals..
Meat in the deep freeze and a big big racks.........
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wahoo hunter I don't know where your from but here in the south a "redneck" isn't such a bad thing as it genrally is in the north (if that is where you are from). I have been called a redneck most of my life and i am very respectful of the ouotdoors. I'm not some crazy backwoods fool. I am an educated college graduate, pastor, and graphic designer. I am not getting on your cases here just trying to get you to clear up your mistakes before some of the "rednecks" that are qualityoutdoorsmen on this forum (and there are a lot of them) do get on your cases.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely drop the redneck connection. Living in PA and NY most of my life, I can tell you that there are a TON of hunters from NYC and Philly that give "ignorant hunter" a whole new meaning. They can buy fancy guns and the latest shooting garb, but they wouldn't know an outdoorsman if he smacked them in the head with a clay pigeon. And, as far as gun safety goes, I have seen these high-end shooting sticks used for everything from walking canes to pry bars. (Just ask one of these guys where his buddy is. He is likely to point him out with the gun barrel!) I have too much respect for rednecks to lump them with these guys.

As a good friend, Bill "Porkchop" Mosley, once told me. (He was from L.A. Lower Alabama.) The swamp is a great place to take in-laws, city folk and other critters you don't want hanging around the house.

Quick Reply: Redneck vs. Outdoorsmen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.