Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do?

Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default What to do?

I've been hunting the same piece of land for 3 years now. Strictly during Muzzle Season. I've had my scouting cam out since Sept and have gotten some good pics. Only one real nice shooter buck though. I've had it at 2 different spots. Both spots where I have seen deer previous years.

The land I'm hunting is owned by my wife's uncle. I was checking my cam last weekend and on my way out of his land I came upon a cut line and about 200 yards away there was an absolute monster buck. It had two drop tines. I watched him from the truck for about 5 mins before he noticed me and ran off. With him was a second buck that was just as nice. He must have been just on the edge of the brush because I hadn't seen him. This is an area I have not hunted or scouted before. The last 2 season the landowner has had cattle in this part and I didn't want to be shooting with cattle around. He doesn't have cattle on this land this year. This area is about a 1 - 1.5 miles away from where I have had my cam setup.

Muzzle season starts this monday but I won't get out until Sat. I may be able to get out this Sun to scout this new area. I'll be hunting for 4 days. I'm torn on where to hunt now. After seeing those 2 bucks I am tempted to setup where I saw them but I'm not sure. These are the only 2 bucks I have seen in this area. Granted I've never really looked because of the cattle.

Or hunt where I have had my cam setup?

Kevin

Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default RE: What to do?

One other thing is I was quite surprised at the time I saw these 2 large bucks. I was heading out at about 11:30am and they were out feeding.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, Id go for the one ive been watching. Stay with the plan. Next year set up some cams in the new area, and get that one. Just my opinion, and if you do go after the big one and drop him, rub it in my face with a pic!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM

You said that you havent scouted the area with the large bucks, but you have the other area and only 1 shooter. There may be alot more deer that you havent seen at the unscouted area, Id hunt it.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM

You said you've scouted the one area and only seen one shooter. You haven't scouted the second area, but already know of two shooters. My head says go with the numbers and go after drop tine.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Spike

I've got lots of pics of little bucks but only the 1 shooter. Most of the pics are at night. While I saw the other 2 shooters during the day. Here is the shooter I got a pic of.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM

area that was scouted,
# of shooter Bucks:1
time seen at: night

Area unscouted,
#of shooter bucks: 2
time seen mid day.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 PM

good luck
Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like to me the answer is in the question.