Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Vision
3.64%
Smell
81.82%
Hearing
5.45%
Feel/vibrations
0%
Reading other animals or signs
1.82%
Other
7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

What is a deer's best sense?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is a deer's best sense?

I've had does look right at me in a tree and not know what I was, from 20 yards away no less...If they are seeing you, you are moving or not camoed very well...
30-40 years ago, I didn't even wear camo, and killed deer...

If a deer had a turkey's eyesight, we would have a much harder time killing them...
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

a deer can look right at you but if you dont move you are fine, (most of the time) but if he smells you,.......its game over for you! smell is byfar better!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Cant remember the guys name but there was some PHD on ESPN hunting Sunday that said studies show that deer can obviously smell very good. However when it comes to waste and urine they can smell it but they don't recognize one kind of urine over another. He said pissing on your own boots is just as effective as putting fox piss on your boots.
I am sure every person on here will have a different opinion.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

Schultzy, JMHO, but it us definitely not a close call between smell and sight.
Personally, any hunter that does recognize and understand how well the deer's sense of smell is, well they are making one crucial and possible fatal mistake.

Humans cannot conceive how well a deer can smell. It is uncomprehensible to us.
If a deer could hear only as well as he sees, I would have trophy bucks hanging every single year.
I'm not argueing or disagreeing with you at all on this subject! I've been busted both ways countless times! If one don't get you allot of times the other one will! Its kinda funny now these days that these deer seem to have it breed in them to look up in the tree's now even when theres no one in them.
No argument ever intended from me either...

I always remind myself that deer either hear you, see you, smell you or simply know you're there.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You got that right!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:06 PM

This has been a real eye opening thread for me. Thanks to everybody who has participated.

Anyone use skunk screen between their stand and the area they are hunting to mask their scent? My hunting area is laid out where it is likely the wind will not be in my favor for the most part.

thanks again
Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skunk scent won't help you, I promise, you can't beat that nose....If the wind is wrong, don't hunt the area, wait until a good wind direction...

If you know where they are coming from, you could reposition your stand, even hunt a cross wind, where your scent won't cross their path...

You've heard stories about drug dogs smelling crack, etc, even though the dealers covered the scent with oil, etc, well, a deer can smell better than a dog...

It's not a problem, just find a way to hunt around it....Might take some thinking, long range scouting, I've even brushed over trails before....This is what makes it fun...
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think a deers BEST sense is ....moving at night

dd
Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did other. The deer I hunt have a sixth sense...The big bucks just know that somthing is wrong.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Acid Test

Just trying to get an idea of how your perceive deer perceiving you. If you think it is a tie between two selections, select the one that has less votes.
No it isn't any tie between nothing and nothing.

A smart deers best sense is not even listed as one of the selections, unless you choose other.

A smart deer when he comes within my weapon's effective range ............. just lays down, stops breathing and gives up.

That would be it's best sense - common sense!

Cha-ching!

Quick Reply: What is a deer's best sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.