Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I feel horrible

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I feel horrible

Well guys I'm sure this isnt what you expected when you clicked, but I still feel horrible. Not because I wounded one, but because I missed one. It's a long story and I'm way too tired to type it all, but long story short. I rushed a shot on a nice sized doe and cleanly missed her. Now it's not the rifle, and I feel I am a very good shot. I just messed up and now it's really bugging me! I just wanted to see how many of you guys have missed a deer with a gun?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I feel horrible

It happens. Dont beat yourself up. Weve all done it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM

You show me someone who never misses a deer and I will show you a liar!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you keep hunting it will happen again, too.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 AM

Anyone who has spent anytime in the woods has missed a deer. Dont worry about it and get back out there. Just think of it this way. Much better to pull a clean miss on adoe than a big old buck right??
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I've missed one at embarassingly close range simply because I forgot to compensate for my sights being set higher than the range I was shooting.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was at camp a few years ago with some buddies who were telling me we should all be able to shoot a deer in the head (with gun or muzzleloader) to preserve all the meat. Well, I had a doe come in to within about 10 yards on a slow walk, and completely missed the head shot with my scoped muzzleloader! Needless to say, I won't ever do it again unless the deer is standing still at close range, and even then will probably go for the shoulder.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 AM

I missed a nice doe at 30 yards with my Remington 870 Express. Figured out that I shot right over her. I wear contacts but still need reading glasses....I couldn't focus in on the sights properly.

The next year I had a scope put on the gun!!! LOL!!!!

Think of it as a story to laugh about in deer camp!!! [X(]
Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tikka 30-06

Well guys I'm sure this isnt what you expected when you clicked, but I still feel horrible. Not because I wounded one, but because I missed one. It's a long story and I'm way too tired to type it all, but long story short. I rushed a shot on a nice sized doe and cleanly missed her. Now it's not the rifle, and I feel I am a very good shot. I just messed up and now it's really bugging me! I just wanted to see how many of you guys have missed a deer with a gun?
An easier question would be to ask who hasn't missed. I've missed and there is no shame in admitting it. And there is no shame in admitting you hit one and didn't recover it. I'm guilty of that too although it sucks. It also happens to the pros you watch on TV. Shake it off, it's early in the season. At least you didn't hit and wound it. Enjoy the rest of your season. Maybe you'll fill your tag with a better deer.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

like they said we all miss, sooner or later! and we will all more than likely miss again in the future! one missed deer wont kill you, it might sting the pride a bit, but look at it a different way. you let that doe so you can get that bigger deer later! as long as you still have tags you can still go to the woods, and hunt!

Quick Reply: I feel horrible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.