Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Suggestions on WARM clothing

Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Suggestions on WARM clothing

I have finally had enough of being cold while hunting. Well, cold is ok...I hate freezing.Anyone have any suggestions for warm clothing especially underwear? I'd like as few cloths as possible (easier to move) but remain relatively comfortable.

Which material tends to keep a person warmer? Man-made or natural products like wool/cotten. I have looked at a product from a company called underarmor calledcoldgear but don't see how it can keep a person warm.

Any advice, tips, tricks, or hints on ways to keep warm would be gretaly appreciated.

Acetyl
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Suggestions on WARM clothing

Goose down is very warm but can be bulky... Long underwear are great. I have an old snow suit but I dont remember what its made of. Wool socks are a must. Lots of heat comes out of feet. The little heat packs that you shake up are amazing. The ones they make for feet I find to be to hot.(like burning hot) so I use the hand ones and tape them to the bottoms of my socks. Look for Thinsulate insulation in clothing.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM

I find that for your feet you need a good pair of winter boots with thinsulate in them and i wear a pair of poly-wool socks(polypropylene moves moisture away from the foot) and another pair of just wool socks and as BuckRogers said tape some of those hand warmers to your feet(that is if you are sitting all day if you are walking you shouldnt need them). As for pants and jacket all i did is buy Carhartt winter jacket and overalls and they block all wind and they are super warm then i just buy thin camo and put it over top of that. As for hands i usually have a bulky warm glove on my left hand(non shootin hand) and for my shootin hand i just have a thin wool glove on and hand warmers in my pocket. My head i usually wear a toque/beanie and a a hood from a hoody im wearing but i always carry a balaclava in my pack in case the wind really picks up. Under all my clothing i wear Helly/Hansen Poly-Pro Thermal Long Johns. This combination has kept me nice and toasty warm in -35 weather. But the best thing is the Poly-pro clothing, it keeps you dry and warm and its thin and lite, but it does come at a cost.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what this ole' Florida boy wears up north for cold hunting:
1). Midweight anti-static polypropelene underwear with turtleneck top.
2). Wool shirt
3). Fleece layers top and bottom.
4) Wool parka and bibs
5). Trooper style cap
6). Thinsulate insulated (600 gms) boots
7). boot blanket overboot when on stand
Works for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I only hunt from a stand and I finally found a cure for getting cold. I bought a Heater Body Suit a few years ago and have never been cold in it. It is like a sleeping bag with legs. On cold days I wear under armor cold gear, then a pair of uninsulated bibs and a midweight jacket to walk to my stand in. The biggest reason people get cold is they get hot walking to their stand and sweat and then get cold. The body suit was kinda expensive, but I was in need of new bibs and coat at the time so it was about the same price. They have a web sight.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I don't go out in the cold without my WindRiver insulated clothes.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM

Any particular stores to get this stuff from or is it basic clothing lines you can get anywhere?

Thanks for ideas,

Acetyl
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two words for ya UNDER ARMOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will never hunt in the winter without it!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in tree always , get ya some nice fleece clothes some boot blankets and a set of ARTIC SHIELD clothing ( bibs and coat ) they are what they say and well worth it bass pro sells it and cabellas , but try the sportsman guide thats where I baught mine
Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Does anyone use militry clothing?

Quick Reply: Suggestions on WARM clothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.