Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging deer head up or down?

Old 01-17-2002, 02:43 PM

Default Hanging deer head up or down?

I saw this topic started but I can't find it anymore.
I hang em head up to skin them out,(the old hook the hide to the truck trick) then turn them head down if I need to let them hang for any lenght of time.
I was taught to leave them head down to keep the fluids from collecting in the hams.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:05 PM

Default RE: Hanging deer head up or down?

Head up - to Drain, clean, hose out, or store (weather permiting) for any length of time.

Head down - to skin and process.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

head down.

Hope they don't delete this topic again!
Old 01-17-2002, 04:46 PM

hang em head down cause they will bleed out much better.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:57 PM

I was always taught to hang them head down.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:14 PM

I have always hung my deer head up directly after harvesting, this allows me to gut them, and clean the chest cavity out VERY easily, after that, I take them to our garage, lay a tarp on the floor, and hang them head down, that makes it a lot easier to skin, and split the hind quarters and ribs. I let them hang a couple of days if it is cold out. Then I quarter them and put them in the freezer for a week. After that, I take them out and cut them up on the bandsaw.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-17-2002, 07:19 PM

If you are going to shoulder mount the deer, don't hang them head up, as this stretches the skin on the neck. The taxidermist then has to "unstretch" the hide to make it fit on a form.

Pablo
Old 01-17-2002, 07:37 PM

hang 'em head down, much easier to work with
Old 01-17-2002, 07:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Head up - to Drain, clean, hose out, or store (weather permiting) for any length of time.

Head down - to skin and process.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

The deer should not be hosed out inside, if you are leaving it hang a few days,....... inless, you gut shot it!

If it is left with the natural emzimes, which you wash away if you hose it out, it will form a glossy dry &quot;skin&quot;, that will keep the meat from drying out, and also is un-appealing to flys, if it is warm enough for them.

Hang them head down so the body fluids drain out better! If you hang them head up, those fluids all drain into the hind quarters, where your best meat is.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

WE ALWAYS HANG OUR DEER HEAD DOWN WHEN SKINNING AND LEFTING FLUID DRAIN. JUST THE WAY I WAS TOUGHT AND WILL TEACH MY KIDS.

Quick Reply: Hanging deer head up or down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.