Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ILLINOIS TIPS

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 AM

Default ILLINOIS TIPS

JUST PULLED A TAG FOR JOHNSON CO, ILLINOIS FOR FIRST GUN SEASON.

NEVER HUNTED ILLINOIS BEFOREBUT IVE HEARDCRAZY THINGS. HOPE ITS COLD.

ANY ADVISE??
Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ILLINOIS TIPS

Dont shoot anything less than 145" or you will be sorry. I saw 3 bucks last night 130" 7pt and 2 10's between 150 and 160 it was 80 degrees and windy. Not a very good day and early in the season. 145" deer are common if you hunt right just hunt the wind and you will see.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Tons of public land in Johnson County. There are some big Bucks down that way. If possible, go ahead of time and do some scouting. Be ready for just about anything weather wise. If you're hunting National Forest land, get as far off tthe roads as you can to avoid other hunters. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my first year in ILLINOIS, be out there for 2 weeks, archery and shotgun. My two frends went out there last week to put up stands on the farm we are hunting (Brown County) they didn't see many deer, but they saw lots of rubs, the owner has seen bigger bucks this then he has in the past, and my one friend has hunted this farm fornumerous years, he took a 155" 13 pointer last year. The farmer's son has seen a 160" buck numerous times in the general location where my stand was placed