Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Real Deer Hunting??????

Old 09-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Real Deer Hunting??????

ORIGINAL: Steelcity

where im from if you see any legal buck whic is 4 points on one side and you dont shoot it, it will get shot when it goes over the next hill so anything with any size must be taken regardless of age because if you dont shoot it you will not see it again
This BIGGEST DUMBEST LAMEST EXCUSE EVER as reason to shoot a deer.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might as well shoot everything you see so nobody elsehas the chance
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM

The last lease I was on would fine you if you shot undersized bucks. Trophy to one may be undersized to another. They weren't my rules. . . . .
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Spike

Wackem and stackem it freezer time BOYS.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
DGH

Out here, Central CA., we can not hunt over food plots, feeders, or any other attractant, never get to hunt in the rut, and we are after the hardest deer species there is to take a true"trophy" - the Blacktail. Our standards where we hunt are simple - sixteen inches or more wide,fork above the ears, and have decent mass is a shooter anytime. Much different from big whitetail country, and certainly well below decent mule deer standards, even in California. So, I agree, if the buck is decent, take your shot

As for me, I am one of those who is a trophy hunter, but, I have also had the great luck to hunt a large property my entire life, have put a tag on around 75 deer, and I now have no interest in shooting a small buck. For me, the deer must be over 18 inches wide, 15 inches high, and have good mass. Oh, and if you think you are going to hold out for a 4 pount, 8 point by white tail standards (10 points if he has eyeguards),you may go 20 years without getting one.

Anyway, the point of my rant is this - a trophy is determined by what you are hunting, where you hunt it, how you hunt it, andwhen you get to hunt it.The importantthing is being in the field, being responsible, and passing this love of outdoors on to your kids and grandkids.As to the shows, I ignore them.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

To me it is a shame that we argue about this. Hunting is a challenge no matter how you approach it. It all depends on the goals you set for yourself before you go into the woods. If a guy wants to be patient and wait for a large racked mature buck to come in than that is his challenge. To some guys the challenge is in the tackle they decide to take with them. Yet to others their goal is to put meat in the freezer. All of these goals can be had by the same hunter. We should not measure ourselvesby whateveryone else is accomplishing. Rather we should measure ourselves against our past accomplishments. Based on what people have said on here you would think that a hunter has to decide if they want to be a meat hunter or a horn hunter. Some of you make it sound like a hunter should be ashamed ofhimself for wanting to go after their own goals. To me that is just not right.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Completely agree with ya ihunt.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 PM

anything's a trophy to me!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's pretty darn hard to come up with what is a trophy and all of us agree. Each of our hunting time, locations, and deer we see vary far too much. All I know is that if you are not enjoying being out hunting whether you harvest or not, you shouldn't be there. And second, if you have that trophy on the wall you better have done something with the rest of him. I don't care if it is in your freezer, a friends, or at a food bank. I guess I've see one too many carcasses left to rot after some one has taken their trophy (and I tell you the first one that I saw was already one too many). Safe hunting and enjoy your days in the hunting woods. We all have too few of those.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I shot this Buck 22 years ago,on my Farm.He was an old Mature Buck.But if our State has their way this Deer will not be Legal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/oneshot/lastscanDeerR.jpg

big rockpile

Quick Reply: Real Deer Hunting??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.