Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Age for youth hunting

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Age for youth hunting

Hey all... Ive got a question for everyone with kids... What age do you think its appropriate to take a child hunting, first just to tag along with, and also for them to hunt. I cant remember what age I was when I tagged along with my dad deer hunting... Also when I was younger you had to be 12 to hunt, but now in pa there is a mentored youth hunting for deer turkey and tree rat. I think they can be any age for this program... Ive got a long way off with my son as he is only 5 months but I am planning ahead..
Old 09-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Age for youth hunting

Not to be elusive, but it depends on the kid. Both my sons killed their first deer when they were 6, but my youngest son was "ready" at 5. As far as taking kids to the woods just to watch, I believe the sooner the better.

In my opinion, it is best to get kids interested in hunting and outdoor activities before they get hooked on video games and TV.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Typical Buck

My daughters were both 5 when they first tagged along on a deer hunt with me. My oldest daughter was 7 when she took her first deer. It was also her first year to hunt. I think I took both of them rabbit hunting when they were 3 or 4.

GH
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Youths can tag along, however to hunt here they must be 10 years of age or older...
Old 09-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Indiana has no minimum legal age, so we go by the individual child. When they're ready you'll know.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL, all kids under 16 have to be accompanied by an adult when hunting....
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM

I agree, it when you feel they are ready. Here in Maine they need to be 10. However I have towed the spud with me since he could walk. At 6 he started hunting and I can't even remember what it used to be like. My best times are going to chase critters with Dylan. He is now 7 and between fishing and hunting, we are together most all of our free time. Taking Dill inspired my wife to do her first bear hunt last spring, it is now becomeing a family affair.

This was the Bear he shot two weeks ago in NH. 297lb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM

here are some more, sorry.... proud pappy.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM

few more

Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

almost done

Quick Reply: Age for youth hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.