Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Claim jumper?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Claim jumper?

I have a piece of property near here that I (thought) had exclusive rights to bow hunt. I have a written IDNR permission card so I know I'm good. The owner said "written" permission was new to him. He never mentioned any other hunters. As far as I knew I was the only one to be around his place or the next place over.

Someone went and hung a stand 40 yards from my ladder station!

Kinda along story I'll finish later. Got to get to work.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Claim jumper?

In my personal experience some of the older folks will give permission to just about anyone who asks and they don't concern themselves about keeping track or using the permission forms. That's how you end up with 5 deer stands on one 10 acre woodlot sometimes.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Bummer
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had rather lease the land with a written lease stating that I have 100% of the hunting rights,that way there is no problem. If everybody else has permission it sounds like you are screwed.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I have a piece of property near here that I (thought) had exclusive rights to bow hunt. I have a written IDNR permission card so I know I'm good. The owner said "written" permission was new to him. He never mentioned any other hunters. As far as I knew I was the only one to be around his place or the next place over.

Someone went and hung a stand 40 yards from my ladder station!

Kinda along story I'll finish later. Got to get to work.

To the best of my knowledge the IDNR card is pretty much useless unless the land owner signed it. He said written permission is new to him? So did he sign it? Unless they changed it it's just a sheet with his name, your name, I think make model, lic# of your vehicle? Something to show if asked questions wether you have permission to hunt on said property. These others might be moving in with out the landowners knowledge. Better get with the owner and find out whats going on. Sucks.....I don't bow hunt but it starts Monday right?
Old 09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

In my personal experience some of the older folks will give permission to just about anyone who asks and they don't concern themselves about keeping track or using the permission forms. That's how you end up with 5 deer stands on one 10 acre woodlot sometimes.
I agree with this
Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alright. First I do have a signed card. (what would be the point of it unsigned?)

I found out today that a guy used to hunt it someyears back but hasn't been around the last few years. The guy never asked for a permission slip.

The new stand is not on this piece of property. It is on the neighboring property. Or should I say what used to be the neighboring property. The most eastern portion was purchased by the toll authority (TA). The TA clear cut a path for a tractorto sink fence posts and put up a nice 4-foot fence. I figures the clear cut lane was sweet because the deer would use it as a travel corridor and I can see over there from my stand. I could call them in from the lane to my area.

This new stand I discovered is right on the fenceline mounted on a tree on the TA property. I climbed up in my stand the other day and was looking to see what I would want trimmed out for some nice lanes. When I looked over toward the clear cut I saw the stand.

I went over by the stand and saw the screw in steps. Then I started looking around and what do I find? There is corn kernals on the ground. Spread all around for about a good 2-300 yard distance up and down the clear cut.

Is this a baiting situation?, I'm asking myself. Well no. Not if no one is hunting or going to be hunting for the specified period of time. But it is illegal to feed deer here.

So this has screwed this site up a bit for me. I have others, but now I'm unhappy to say the least.

I am going to go back and take pictures of the whole mess (hint: bristow). I think I'm going to wait a few days and see if the animals (there's LOTS of squirrels) don't just eat it all up. I hadn't planned on using this site till the temps got down so I'm not planning on anything like opening day (Oct 1). I was thinking late in October.

Then more than likely it will be a meeting with a CPO over there to sort this out.

And no - I'm not taking the stand down. I guess I could call the TA and just have them deal with it, but I think I would rather call the CPO to try and make sure I can use this later in season.

Signed,

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Alright. First I do have a signed card. (what would be the point of it unsigned?)

But you failed to say that in your first post so, makes you wonder. Hopefully you'll get this straightened out and be able to enjoy your hunting.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt
I am going to go back and take pictures of the whole mess (hint: bristow).

yeah I read it lol. I found another dead buck!!! 4 pointer lol
Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well me and my friend were out exploring old egyptian pyramids up here in N. IL and wefound TWO dead bucks. No I mean THREE! All 30 pointers. We took some pics and then wouldn't ya know it - my frienddropped the camera in the creek while jumpin' it! We were running from some crazy, heavily armed guys that we accidentally bumped making meth in one of the pyramids.

It was nutz man!

Quick Reply: Claim jumper?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.