Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods >

Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

I recently received a sales circular from Dick's and saw they had a Summit Viper Classic on sale. I got there first thing this morning hoping to beat the crowds and get one. I looked, but did not see any on the floor. I walked up to the counter to ask if they had any. There was a couple in front of me asking about a GPS unit. The salesman told them they were out! I asked about the stand and guess what? They did not have any!

It really burns me when they advertise these sales as a gimmick to get people into the store. There response was that it was " a national advertisement." What the hell is that supposed to mean? The younger salesman stated that the treestands had been on sale for two months, WRONG! I just looked at the very same stand three days earlier and they were not on sale. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have made up my mind not to shop with them. They are constructing a Sportsman's Warehouse ans it will be open in a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Disgusted with ****'s Sporting Goods

I hate that chain and never buy sporting goods from them. Some of their athletic clothes are Ok but most of the time their hunting and fishing equipment is all second rate stuff.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you are referring to Dick's......they do this all the time.....I quit going there because of this!
Dan
Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is that name short for Richard?????
Old 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Hey they are alright but you cant shop by thier add.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a cabelas a mile from my house. I'll boycott xxxxx's with you!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have been in the same situation with Bass Pro. the most recent incident i drove to Bass Pro to buy a CVA Optime Pro that they had on sale. when i arrived i learned that they did not have ANY CVA's period, much less the Optima. i ended up buying another muzzleloader which was more expensive than the one i wanted. i believe this is their tactic. however Bass Pro is only 45 minutes from my house and realisticaly they are the only place that truly has a wide selection of hunting gear. so in short, no matter how much they screw me, i'll still go and buy from them.

i know i could order off line or from a catalog from other places but it's not the same as being hands on with the merchandise and getting the merchandise right then and there vs. waiting a week or 2.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default RE: Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

I stopped by ****'s 2 weeks ago looking for .22 Short rounds. Didn't have any!!!! What kind of sporting goods store with a gun dept. doesn't have at least a couple boxes of most ammo. Pretty much the only ammo they had was .22 Long and 12 ga. I won't be returning.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

Yeah, those Richards at Richard's Sporting Goods do it all the time. I haven't stepped in their BS store since 3 years ago (maybe 2) when they advertised a Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and scope like $279.

Yeah I was right in there. NONE IN STOCK. Call all the stores in N. IL. Guess what. YEAH THAT'S RIGHT - NO ONE HAS ONE.

"No problem. We'll issue you a raincheck."

OK great - when can I expect it in? "Don't know."

Will it be in in time for deer season? It is a frickin deer gun, kinda what the whole idea of the sale thing revolves around right? "Don't know."

"Now for the raincheck, do you want 12 or 20 gauge?" Well I'll take whatever you get in first, what do you get more of?

"Don't know what we're getting until they get here."

You have to be friggin kidding me! You have no idea what is being shipped to you until they get here?!?! "Yep."

Well put me down for the 20 gauge. "OK, you're down for a 20 gauge. So for 20 gauges that puts you about 5thin line for a 20."

Well then change that to 12 gauge. "OK but you'll then be about 7th or 8th."

WHAT?!?!?!?!? I was in here drinking coffee waiting for your doors to open! "Well that line for guns is at all the stores here in our region." So your computers are hooked up to compile a list of rainchecks but not to know what mechandise is expected to arrive?!?!??!?!?!?!

OH I GET IT! This sale thing IS all about deer season. It's about suckin' customers in with false hopes and raincheck BS for deer equipment that is advertised but not here. Knowing darn good and well that the majority of people who come in will buy other stuff and ca-ching! Get those registersringing! Yes it was quite a scene - just like I wanted it to be. Squeeky wheel always gets the oil (or the cops called as I have found out also at times - not in this case).

I don't know if it was my attitude, and I gave them plenty, both to the guys at the gun counter and the store manager who I had call all the other stores for me. But I never did get a call back saying my raincheck was filled. Turns out you have to go back and have it re-validated every so often. That's a real cute BS little loop hole Dork's has, isn't it?

DON'T SHOP AT DORK'S SPORTING GOODS!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, clearly you people need some experience in retail sales. I used to work at Bass Pro as a second job....fantastic discount and lots of fun! I dealt with this on a daily basis. Sales flyer would come out, people would drive hours to come get so and so gun that was on sale...sure enough we wouldnt have any and theyd be pissed. Id ask them if they wanted a rain check and some would be content with that and others would fly off the handle. Did it bother me? Not at all, theres a wonderful invention called the phone...use it. How hard is it to call and ask if something is in stock? You can even put one on hold!!! What a concept.

These places are there to make money, of course the sales are gimmicks, thats the point. Dont blame the store because you didnt have the foresight to check first. As for not knowing what exactly comes in on shipments...very true, we didnt have a clue until the truck came in. The powers that be do the ordering. It doesnt filter down to the grunts and we have no way of knowing what the suppliers themselves have in their own stocks.

Heres another bit of advice. The service you receive is directly proportional to what comes out your mouth. You get an attitude with the floor guy and his willingness to help you plummets. I once had a customer who was very nice, I showed him guns for at least 1.5 hours. He was constantly apologizing for making me go back and forth handing him rifles....he went through every one we had. He and I had a nice long conversation the whole time, it didnt bother me at all to do that for him.

Quick Reply: Disgusted with Dick's Sporting Goods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.