Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

All Does what does that mean?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default All Does what does that mean?

I left my trail cameras out for 2 weeks on 3,000 acres of land I have permission to hunt. There is no hunting pressure in this area and the owner has seen big deer before.

My trail camera showed lots of does, but no bucks. [:@] I'm not too good to take a doe, but I really want a buck. Is there still a good chance big bucks are out there?? If there are does the bucks will follow within the next month, right??
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: All Does what does that mean?

If there are does then there are bucks in the area also. They may be nocturnal. When the rut kicks in you might be sitting on a honeyhole. It would probably be a good idea to take a few does if there are that many anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there Robb the bucks will be there too.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

If there are does then there are bucks in the area also. They may be nocturnal. When the rut kicks in you might be sitting on a honeyhole. It would probably be a good idea to take a few does if there are that many anyway.
Exactly!

That's the situation I was in last year. LOTS of pics of does w/ no bucks. I was discouraged too. But, 3 days before Thanksgiving, I took a decent 8 pointer about 50 yds from camera. Had never seen this deer before in my pics. Now, I see him everyday on my living room wall! Few days later, caught another 7 pointer on my camera in a new scrape. Be patient. Being where the does are is a GOOD thing. Especially in November. The rut can change everything. I'm still trying to "thin" my doe population some though.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agrre with these guys as well. If the doe are there the buck will be there when the rut kicks in! I see the same thing you are seeing at one of the places I hunt. The trail cams only have doe pictures in them and don't start getting buck pictures until mid-october. And this place is where I usually shoot my buck. Hang in there, for now try to figure out the doe bedding areas so you can setup onthe outskirts of them to catch cruising buck looking for a hot doe! Good Luck!!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the encouragement guys!!! This huge area of heavily wooded property hasn't been hunted in several years and the last time my uncle killed a big buck there. I do feel there are bucks there, and hopefully when the rut starts they will follow the does.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Well all I can tell you is that you need to kill all the does you can, because that is what determines your good buck population. It might not happen untill 2 years from now,but if you keep on i guarentee that you will in the future.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the others said shoot a few doe's so i'll hafta say bring a young hunter and have them shoot one... It'll mean alot to them and they'll never forget about that.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Be patient. You'll see plenty of chasin' once the rut hit. Should be a lot of fun. Do your part with human scent avoidance.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 PM

there there