Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh! >

Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

I was sitting here this morning, watching a whitetail deer hunt. And I was just amazed that someone could actually think it is a sport to put up a feeder, and train deer to come to eat. Not only that but train deer to eat at certain times. I am not kidding you, this guy was sitting in a tripod, talking to his camera man. Then in the background you hear the feeder turn on. And he actually says "Man watch this", "It's like these deer are trained."
And then he shot a huge whitetail. And probably paid $10,000.

To say the least I was absolutely disgusted! As a sportsman, I want to preserve my right to hunt for myself, and future generations. But talk about giving the anti's fuel for there fire. I could just imagine what that would look like in court.

In my humble opinion I think that training any game animal to come to a certain spot at a certain time is very unsportsman like. Not to mention I believe it is a lazy way to stregthen your odds of taking a game animal. AndI have read on these forums before that the reason people "Bait/Train" deer, is because the deer population in their area is so high that they need to almost guarentee that they will harvest their deer for the year. Don by hunting over a bait site. Come on, if there is truly that many deer we all know you sure don't have to use bait to get an opportunity.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying it is bad to throw a little corn out by your tree stand a few days before your hunt. But having something in place to feed everyday. Man. I really hate to see where hunting is going.

With all the high tech bows, range finders, camo and magical scents out there you would think that someone would already believe that we have enough edge. I would rather hunt all season and never harvest a deer or whatever, then sit over a feeder and kill the next world record.

I apologize for venting, And I hope not to burn someone's A**. I am just sorry for anyone who feels they need to train an animal before they can harvest it.

I look forward to your responses on this topic. I truly am curious to know how the rest of our nation feels about this topic.
Thanks,
Muliefever
Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Wild deer are rarely like that. This deer was probably inside a fence.

What do you think about hunting over a food plot?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Food plots are just fine. Better nutrition, great for many animals. Not to mention it takes hard work and time to grow a food plot. Like I said before, A "feeder" is easy, can be timed, therefore trains the animal you are aiming to hunt.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted these places and have seen Deer set back and look up to see if anyone is in the Stand.But last year the Guy took the Feeders out and a bunch of Guys were upset because they was putting out Big $$ but it wasn't a Guarantee Hunt.Bunch of guys went home empty handed and said they would never go back.MeI did ok,still thinking on it.

On my Farm I'm thinking of putting out Small Food plots which to me is no different than Feeders.PlusI will draw Deer off my neighbors where there is 8,000 of nothing but Timber and Brush.

big rockpile
Old 09-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

BIG.

I agree. Some of you guys need to come hunt here in the South where our deer spend more time looking up in trees than they do sniffing the ground.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well thank god.. I am glad to see they still have a chance. I mean by looking up and all. Strut, have youever tried hunting from the ground?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Well thank god.. I am glad to see they still have a chance. I mean by looking up and all. Strut, have youever tried hunting from the ground?
Hunt from the ground all the time.Its just safer from an Elevated Stand around here.

big rockpile
Old 09-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Yes, I do hunt on the ground if the situation permits it and I actually have better luck than in a stand.

However, I will not deer hunt on the ground on public land here in SC.....if you do that..probably need to make sure your will is signed.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man it must really suck to hunt in such a war zone.? I guess I don't quite understand being that I am from Idaho. Well whatever soots your hunting area I guess. Nonetheless, No matter what part of the country you are in. Hunting trained animals is wrong.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Training deer is no good,it takes the hunt out of hunting,how would they servive a bad winter.food plots have there place,were I hunt its 22 acres of privite land(all woods)I only hunt it and it is all farm land and swamp around it so for the last 10 yrs I havent done a thing to get deer in,they are just there.call me lucky but the land owner is going to sell in the nxt year or so and it will be part of the resort(lake)as far as the sale goes he wont sell me just the 22 acres of woods.Time to buy my own land I recon....

Quick Reply: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.