Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Knife Sharpness

Old 09-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default Knife Sharpness

Just wondering how others test to see if their knife is sharp, really sharp,

I think it's sharp when I can shave the hairs off my arm, others have said that that isn't really sharp,

Just looking to see what others do.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knife Sharpness

I usually just take a thin piece of paper (such as notebook paper) and cut through it with the knife. If it's sharp, I can tell - just get a feel for it....

It's worked for me I guess.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

When you see blood.. [&:]

I use a 3 sided wet stone. I get it where I like and give the knife a few passes with a leather strap or belt. I can shave my arm hair, I have used it to cut 1/4" conveyor belt like butter where normally a utility knife is required. This all on my Kershaw Blackout pocket knife I carry and use everyday.

I have a Buck Zipper knife the wife gave me for Xmas one year while we were still dating as my field dress knife. Now that stays super razor sharp to split frog hair 3 ways.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

i compare mine to a surgeons scapel. if it dont shave, without any effort, it aint sharp enough. can always tell when i been sharpenin knives...my thighs are bald

using a dull knife is plain foolish. if you dont know how to sharpen one, buy a utility knife with replacable razors and use it. i know lots of guys that do. when im digging for my second knife after deer 2 or 3, the other guys just swap blades. a dull knife is a good way to get hurt. and im not making that up. takes more effort and force to get a dull knife to cut. good way to ruin your own day...youll never see me sawing with my knife. split the skin to the breast bone in one pass. knife between my 2 fingers and just easing them and the knife forward..

i just hate knowing how to get a super sharp knife! dad has me do all his periodically...and a couple months ago he brought home his buddies...i didnt mind...except they took me a good hour+ each. looked like he took a grinder to them[:@] or something...they were nasty lookin. i had to set an edge and clean up the nicks and burrs and then sharpen them. not to mention they were big bladed knives...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use my thumbnail and make sure the entire knife tracks along it, doesn't slide. I then give it a few passes on a leather sash and consider ready for duty.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Mauser I watched a buddy actually use the bench grinder at workto his leatherman. I gringed as I watched him do this, I also get stuck sharpening other knives, axes, even lawn mower blades..
Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

The first thing you need is a good knife. There is no need to polish a turd. Good steel makes a big difference. The next thing to consider is what the knife will be used for. What the knife will be used for determines the angle I sharpen my blades at. On stones the angle is determined by how you hold your blade while on the lansky(sp?) type system it is determined by which slot the guide rod is in. For fine work like skinning deer or fine woodworking I like a low or shallow angle that I am able to get super sharp. The problem with a low angle blade is that it dulls quicker. My utilitarian knifes generally have a 25 degree angle that does not dull as quickly, but is not as fine of an edge as my skinning knifes. I have stones (natural and diamond), ceramic rods, and a diamond and ceramic lansky(sp?) which all have their uses. If you want a really sharp edge you will usually haft to buy more than what is in any one kit. My knives are not finished until I use a 1000 grit stone or better and they have been stropped on leather. I use fine jewelers rouge on one side of my leather strop. When I get finished I should be able to let the blade slide down the side of my leg leaving a long bare spot without putting any pressure on the blade. Another good test is to gently rest the blade across your fingernail and try to gently slide it toward the end. It should grab into the nail if it is sharp.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dobber1978

I think it's sharp when I can shave the hairs off my arm, others have said that that isn't really sharp,
The sharper it is the quicker it will dull. Take a person with a heavy beard......how many times can he use that razor blade?

The only time you sharpen a knife is when the edge is completely gone other wise you hone it........Does the Barber stop to sharpen his razor while you are on the chair or does he hone it on the strap?........Does a Butcher stop to sharpen his knife while butchering or does he use the Honing Iron?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thunb nail is the best method to check out your knife.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

The sharper it is the quicker it will dull.
How quickly a blade dulls has more to do with the properties of the metal and the angle of the cutting edge.

Quick Reply: Knife Sharpness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.