Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Behavior?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck Behavior?

yesterday I was driving and about 30 yds from the road was a deer with a small rack standing beside a fawn and it was licking the fawn. I thought this was strange for a buck to be doing. Has anyone else ever seen this? My other thought was that it might have been an antlered doe b/c it was not a very uniform rack and they were tho only two deer around.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Buck Behavior?

I hunted in Oklahoma years ago and saw the same thing happen. I didnt think a whole lot about it but the friend I was hunting with had the deer taken off during the season and called me saying when they went to gut it, the deer didnt have the genitals of a buck??? I would be interested if anyone else has come across this ?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

Saw a picture someone posted off their trail cam, that had a small fawn trying to nurse off of another deer with antlers. The deer did have long skinny neck that gave the idea of it being a racked doe.

I been watching alotlately, and noticed that since last monday night something has changed their pattern. Use to see a doe and her fawn come out like clock work at a few minutes after 7pm. Nothing in the local fields in the evening, and finding it kinda odd that I haven't seen a deer in almost a week. Normally I got to dodge them on my way to work.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Usually this time of year they will start retreating to their winter patterns.Usually starts end of Aug first of Sept. but dont worry the deer that leave will be replaced with deer you havent seen before coming from other areas. It took me a while to figure this out, but then went to a neighbors house to hunt 2 miles down the road and saw the same buck that was grazing in my fields in the summer.
5 Days and counting...Happy Hunting in 07'