Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP!

Old 01-06-2003, 12:43 PM

Default HELP!

Okay guy's i'm new at this deer hunting thing so help me out i hunt a private area there are two spots that i can hunt on it's in Monroe county in ILLinois I hunt a funnel that is bordered by a field I was wondering if I put in a food plot if that would up my odds at shotting a nice buck with my bow this is my first year with bow.On the other side what would be a good size plot. I hunted the spot real hard this year and only saw does were are the bucks at on this piece of land the owner knows of a eleven pointer and a nice nine but there has to be some more in there it's loaded with deer but i bon't want to shoot a doe with my bow I want a nice buck. any help would be greatly apreciated. thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 PM

Default RE: HELP!

you just need to do some close scouting sand watching,to see where the deer come and go.set up on the travel routes from beds to feed.
a food plot may help some,depends on the surounding lands.
are they farm lands,or woodlots??
if the does are there ,the bucks want be far behind durning the rut.
if it is loaded with deer,just watch your sent and wait.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:23 PM

Default RE: HELP!

The bucks are there you just aren't seeing them. It sounds like Does are using this area primarily however treeclimber was right, there should be plenty of bucks around during the rut (Late November).

I would not be in a hurry to put in a food plot if there is other food sources available. Size would depend on how much land you can afford to provide if you decide to put one in.

Have you seen any bucks at all this year. Perhaps the bucks primarly nocturnal. Game Cam might answer that question. You might be surprised.

GO PACK!