Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What brand of grinder is best??? >

What brand of grinder is best???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What brand of grinder is best???

Old 08-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default What brand of grinder is best???

After reading a recent post about grinders, it lead to ask what is the best grinder for your money???? Any suggestions?????
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What brand of grinder is best???

That depends on budget and usage. If your going to be doing small batches then Kitchen aide attachments or the cheaper electric grinders(like pro waring's found at retail outlets)may well suffice. Though if your going to be grinding a good heapat one crack or several through the yearthen your better to buy something that is 3/4HP and has stainless steel gears/bearings (ie: LEM, etc).

I do custom processing of game as a sideline and use a 1 1/2hp Torrey which makes short work of grind but it also costs some extra money and isn't really required for individual usage.

I have used everything from hand cranks up to commericial units, they all work untilyou exceed the usage model. IMO, the cheaper plastic gear grinders are fine for upto 20lbs in one session. They require some additional cutting to feed and work well in the smaller hopper/mouth. Anything larger I say buy a 3/4hp/ SS gear unit and be done with it (time saved and less money in the future as the little engine will not go forever if being over worked). If such an expense isn't in the cards a hand crank and some elbow grease may be the way to fly for the time being.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

i will probably do about 5-7 deer throughout the fall, usually one at a time. i grind quite a bit up for burger but unsure if i would need a bigger grinder or not. anyone have prices and pics of theirs???
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cabela's has a good selection, and their customer service is very good. Of course you can Gooble "meat gringers" and get a ton of links.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 AM

[/align]I have a kitchenaid mixer with the grinder attachment, and haven't been let down yet. Going through one deer does get it pretty warm, but it handles it fine. And if you or your wife cook a lot, the kitchenaid is great to have for a lot of other reasons.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Spike

I've had an LEM for 2 years now.Not the biggest and baddest model cost around $200.Very pleased with it.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM

I've got an old hand crank one, but I don't usually grind up that much meat.I cut a lot of it into strips and make jerky with it. I'm thinking of trying to put a motor on it. I've got some old sweap auger motors, but I've got to figure out how to gear it down a bit