Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Good Stand Placement

Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Default A Good Stand Placement

I went out scouting today and picked out some trees for some stands...I saw a few deer earlierthis morning when i was getting my things together...As any person would do i got the fever in a hurry!! lol

I walked to where i thoght the deer might be bedding this years as opposed to last year so i placed a stand intersectingtrials, beds, and a small creek...It all funnels into a short field connected toa corn field...Is this a good placement any other things i should consider? I have a good shooting view for both gun and bow and thers a good source of acorns as well as the corn...Im only 16 and have turk and deer hunted for 4 years now pretty much on my own so you guys tell me if this was a good call...And how i can improve in placing stands in the right place in the future...Thx
Old 08-14-2007, 10:07 PM

Default RE: A Good Stand Placement

The location sounds fine but two things to consider.
1. You said you went to the "New" bedding area. I would stay back off of it as much as you can or it will become the old again.
2. Remember a stands direction is important but only if it considers the predominant winds you will be faced with. Work the Winter wind to your favor.
Eric AKA: DeerDope
Old 08-19-2007, 01:53 AM

eric is right...One more thing to mention..I too hunt creek beds but try to hunt a part of the creek that is not noisy..Fast water..small water falls etc. happy hunting in 07'
Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the areas that I have place my stands I make sure that I have placed them so that the wind that I will be experiencing during hunting season will work to my advantage. In the areas that I hunt, the wind at this time of the year is usually from the south to south east, but during hunting season the wind is predominately from the north to northwest. I have always made sure that wind direction during the hunting season is one of the most deciding factors I consider before placing my stands. If I believe that the spot that I am placing my stand will be very productive (lots of sign)then I will placea second stand that will work if the wind is out of the secondary wind direction (in my hunting areas the secondary wind direction would be from thewest, southwest). It is a little more work but over the years I have harvested a number of nice bucks from these secondary stands.