Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Post-rut

Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Post-rut

How would you say deer hunting tactics differ from pre-rut to rut to post-rut conditions? I am mainly interested in post-rut because that is whenI will be hunting.So, are calling and rattling techniques as well as stand locations different,or would you say there is no main difference between any of those?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Post-rut

Im not sure on this one I would like to hear what every one els has to say .
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post rut I cut out all calling, I dont rattle at all (doesnt really seem effective in florida). If I switch stand locations I try to generally go deeper in the swamps or closer to bedding areas.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'll still carry a grunt call, but nothing else. especially not the horns. But post season hunting is certainly different. I guess it depends on where you're at. In the midwest, food source becomes the key ingredient. Especially as it gets colder. Find food and hunt it. Dont know about down south though, but they've still got to eat. Where do you hunt?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the scrapes nearest the food sources that are still around, do not be aggressive unless they are. This is my thoughts an practice.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Stay around the food sources, but concentrate on getting either between food and bedding or two bedding areas. One of my favorite late season post-rut areas is between two thickets and just off the edge of a crop field.I might rattle lightly, but usually I use a grunt or bleat call in moderation. The later in the season it gets the more the deer will be dependent on food!