Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What kind of luck with deer scents?? >

What kind of luck with deer scents??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kind of luck with deer scents??

Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What kind of luck with deer scents??

Im a believer. Last year i shot my first buck using rattling antlers and doe urine. I sprayed a bunch of it around my pine tree blind. I had my buck come in after about 20 minutes and i shot him at 15 yards. After i hit him i turned around to walk across the field to give him time to expire and there were 2 more buck crossing the field (circling around me). After they left i got out of thier. When i came back an hour later to get my buck there was another buck standing in my blind (not joking)! From now on ill using using scents non-stop come november. Well, as much as my high school budget will allow me!
Old 08-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use scent products more for cover than as an attractant. In Manitoba natural urine scents have been banned so all we can do is use synthetic. I have used the smoking scent sticks and they do provide a good cover scent. I have also used the waffers and they also seem to provide some cover.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:28 PM

I've used the tarsals from a fresh road killed buck with success. This season, a guy who owns a deer farm has said I could get dirt from scrapes on his place. I suspect that will work well pre-rut.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Jackies Deer Lure, it's home grown ...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I use scents. Im a firm believer in using dominant buck urine, tinks 69 and tinks doe droppings in a mock scrape. Ive had success using mock scrapes. I have also used fox urine to cover my scent as I walk to the stand. A tarsal gland or a wick works well in the mock scrape as well...