Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30-30

Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30

ORIGINAL: Bubbahoo18

My first deer gun was a 30/30 and I never had one run farther than 20 yards. Of course, I never shot one over 100 yards either. I think the 30/30 is an incredible brush gun, just don't try and shoot 200 yards, place your shots well, and it will knock the animals down.
couldn't have said it better myself
Old 07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Spike

I started out with a .270 win. and still love it to this day. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 30-30 win. I bought a 336w to back up my 7400 .270, and after packing both out to the woods with me last year, i have decided that from now on i'll leave the auto back at the cabin if i want to timber hunt. The 30-30 points so nice, and really can put the hammer down on a whitetail with proper shot placement. Head shot one at 142 yards with just factory Winchester 170's. Can't complain about the gun one bit.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ron3775

Most deer tend to move at night, and it can be hard to follow a blood trail at night in the thick woods.
The way this last sentence reads, itsounds like you're planning to shoot at night. I think that's illegal everywhere...

LOL thats the same thought I came too.
No,I would not shoot at night!!!Most bucks in our area tend to be more active at sunset vs sunrise, so the chances of me hitting one as the sun is going down is more probable. Therefore, if he runs it could bea while before I find him (thick woods) which would thenbeat night.

A hunter who shot at a buck with us last year swore he hita deer (he was using a 270) we looked all over for a blood trail and could never find it. The guy is an amazing shot and was sure he hit the deer. But, if the blood trail was faint we could have easily missed it. This is why I really want a gun that has quick knock down power. However, I am starting to realize thatshot placement may be more of a factor than caliber.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Someone raised the issue of the new pointed nose 30-30 rounds. Is it safe to assume that they can make the 30-30 a 200+ yards gun. They have some camo and stainless steel Marlin Lever actions with 24 inch barrels out now that are sweet looking guns. But then again they are also putting them out now in a 308 round which I am not sure if the standard 308 or some hybrid version.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

That is correct! Shot placement is the most important thing. You owe that animal that much at least.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have two lever action 30-30's (1-winchester and 1-Marlin). Both have been very good. As others say, if you plan on under 200 yds. then it most certianly will do the trick.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

But then again they are also putting them out now in a 308 round which I am not sure if the standard 308 or some hybrid version.
The .308 Marlin is not the same as the .308 Win.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

This is why I really want a gun that has quick knock down power. However, I am starting to realize thatshot placement may be more of a factor than caliber.
Yeah, "knockdown power" is kind of a misnomer. If you think about the physics... For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction... the bullet isn't really hitting the deer any harder than your gun is recoiling against your shoulder. The difference being that the bullet impact is more focused rather than spread by reason of the weight of the weapon, and the recoil is spread across the size of the butt. The actual "knockdown" is more a factor of shot location than the power of the bullet.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 is definitely NOT overkill. The three most commonly used deer cartridges are the .270, .30-06, and the .308. And as others have said, the .30-30 has more than enough power to kill these animals. As for ballistics, the .270, .30-06 and .308 are better. Although, Hornady I believe, has made a "soft tip" ballistic tip round for lever action rifles. The .30-30 does not kick as much also as an added bonus. Over all, there is nothing wrong with the .30-30, but you'll get more range and power with your relatives .270.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

This is why I really want a gun that has quick knock down power. However, I am starting to realize thatshot placement may be more of a factor than caliber.
Yeah, "knockdown power" is kind of a misnomer. If you think about the physics... For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction... the bullet isn't really hitting the deer any harder than your gun is recoiling against your shoulder. The difference being that the bullet impact is more focused rather than spread by reason of the weight of the weapon, and the recoil is spread across the size of the butt. The actual "knockdown" is more a factor of shot location than the power of the bullet.
Thanks!! That was a good explanation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.