Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bucking Doe?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Spike

Default Bucking Doe?

This question is for the more experienced hunters: What does it mean when a deer bucks like a horse on its hind legs and takes off after you shoot at it?

Last year I took one shot at a rather large doe and it did just that. When I got back to camp I told one of the guides that I had missed the shot and explained the doe's reaction, and his response was not what I had expected. What made it moreinteresting was that the second guide that I told this to a couple of minutes later told me the exact same thing and she was nowhere near the first guide when I mentioned it to him.

Being a novice at the sport I want to see if I can verify their responses without revealing it.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bucking Doe?

When they mule kick they're hit hard. deffinately a dead deer.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Fork Horn

I had a deer do that to my cousin when it was gut-shot chased it for a day straight.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never had one kick like that but it sure does sound like a hit to me..I have had them jump straight up before running though and that proved to be a hit...

I had a deer do that to my cousin when it was gut-shot chased it for a day straight.
I have never needed to give chase like that, but we have very little hunting pressure in most places here. We can let them run off and wait for an hour or longer before looking for it..
Old 07-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Usually whena deer kicks like that, its usually a killing shot, if they hunch their back, its deffinatley, liver or gut.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That deer was probably hit hard. i have hit them with my bow and rifle and seen them do this. Mostly happens with a gunshot, must be the shock of the kinetic energy(??)
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. You basically confirmed what I was told, except that they both said it was a heart shot. Unfortunately, when we went looking for the doe she was nowhere to be found.

Being the last day ofthe hunt and having to drive back to Miami from SC I was unable to stick around much longer than the 45 minutes we searched with the dogs. Since the property is not fenced and I was near the edge of the property, she may have left the area. The guides were also packed and ready to go soI had to leave it at that.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:51 AM

I got a nice 8 pointer that I hit in the guts. He kicked out his back legs when I hit him. Luckily, he only ran about 10 yards and got another arrow through the lungs.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

I'm glad to see you added to your post that the guides and you went back out looking. You left us hanging and I knew what they were going to have told you. Too bad you didn't get her, better luck next time.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:03 PM
jf5

Its usually associated with a heart shot.

Quick Reply: Bucking Doe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.