Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
YEP DOC YOU DA MAN..I WOULD WATCH FOR SURE!
55.56%
I WOULD'NT WATCH EVEN IF THE DALLAS CHEERLEADRS WHERE ON YOUR SHOW !
44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

DD TV Show or Not ?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: DD TV Show or Not ?

I do live on an island Doc but no virgins here. How did you get pictures of the three candidates for Miss Vermont?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM

ALL HAIL D.D
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bristowboy_20

As long as you let me hunt in one of the episodes! lol...
my thoughts exactly!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
jf5

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

Road trip to hunt the big woods of Northern New England....I'll do it Doc. The only road trip will be yours thoughsince I already live here and hunt those big woods in all 3 states. It is real difficult hunting when you compare it to the TV shows all taped on canned hunting places in the mid west. We have some real slammer bucks but they are wild mountain deer that rarely make a mistake. No food plots with elevated stands here. Just miles upon miles of swamps, ridges and high peaks. Our only advantage comes with snow and the rut. The reason why there aren't any taped shows coming from these parts is that it would take a lifetime for them to get a decent kill on tape.
Well said, as a NE hunter I know.

The hunting on the Champ islandsseems a little better than most VT per the harvest reports. I hope you aer able to tap some of that.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jamiebuck

ALL HAIL D.D
Ahhhhhhhhh a REAL dd fan ..thank you Jammie ....

dd
Old 07-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jf5

Road trip to hunt the big woods of Northern New England....I'll do it Doc. The only road trip will be yours thoughsince I already live here and hunt those big woods in all 3 states. It is real difficult hunting when you compare it to the TV shows all taped on canned hunting places in the mid west. We have some real slammer bucks but they are wild mountain deer that rarely make a mistake. No food plots with elevated stands here. Just miles upon miles of swamps, ridges and high peaks. Our only advantage comes with snow and the rut. The reason why there aren't any taped shows coming from these parts is that it would take a lifetime for them to get a decent kill on tape.

The hunting on the Champ islandsseems a little better than most VT per the harvest reports. I hope you aer able to tap some of that.

The hunting is really something here in the Champlain Islands but I rarely hunt here even though I do live here year round. I prefer bigger woods and mountains like in the NE Kingdom or maine and Northern NH. The Islands area is comprised of flat farm land with small woods and ag type fields. Lots of posted land and not a place where a hunter who really likes tracking and still hunting can enjoy himself. The deer here are large and well fed due to the feed and milder winters than those areas in the rest of the state, but don't usually see their 3rd birthday due to the pressure.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you want to hunt in maine C.I., is it because of the woods that have been cut or the size of some of these monsters...?

Maine is home to one of the largest of the 30 recognized subspecies of white-tailed deer. After attaining maturity at age five, our bucks can reach record live weights of nearly 400 lbs. Most adult bucks, however will normally range from 200 to 300 lbs live weight, and will stand 36 to 40" at the shoulder. Does are considerably smaller; they normally weigh 120 to 175 lbs live weight. Newborn fawns begin life at 4 to 10 lbs, but grow to approximately 85 lbs live weight in their first 6 months of life.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: jf5

The hunting is really something here in the Champlain Islands but I rarely hunt here even though I do live here year round. I prefer bigger woods and mountains like in the NE Kingdom or maine and Northern NH. The Islands area is comprised of flat farm land with small woods and ag type fields. Lots of posted land and not a place where a hunter who really likes tracking and still hunting can enjoy himself. The deer here are large and well fed due to the feed and milder winters than those areas in the rest of the state, but don't usually see their 3rd birthday due to the pressure.
I knowthe CI's are posted and pressured bad. I talked to a landowner in Alburg and he said the pressure was crazy and they always had people tresspassing, etc. I know its not the islands but damn close.

As for your desire to hunt the big woods, I completely understand. Here in MA I hunt western hills. Deer density can be very,very low, but I love the fact that I can still hunt for miles and not cut other hunters tracks, and while you work damn hard just to see any deer,we do have mature deer around to hunt.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Why would you want to hunt in maine C.I., is it because of the woods that have been cut or the size of some of these monsters...?
Probably my biggest reason for hunting Maine and northern NH & Vermont is that it provideds the type of hunting I really enjoy.I love to walk and still hunt and often go for miles all the time wondering what is up just over the ridge. I am not knocking stand or food plot and field hunting because it certainly has a bunch of people who like to hunt that way. Hunting to me involves the chase and pitting my skills against the most warry animal I can access here in New England. It is me against him with the obvious advantage going to him. Occasionally when I am the winner it reminds me about just how pressious hunting is. When I am in good woods it doesn't matter if I don't see any deer. I know they are there and the thought of that fact is what keeps me going back. In my book it is the hunt rather than the kill that keeps me going. Sneaking along a swamp miles from the truck and hoping to catch up with that track that is looking for a bedding spot is what it is all about. The one thing I hate is to be on a decent track and have it lead to some posters. For that reason I stick to the largest public land I can find like in the 3 northern states.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
jf5

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Probably my biggest reason for hunting Maine and northern NH & Vermont is that it provideds the type of hunting I really enjoy.I love to walk and still hunt and often go for miles all the time wondering what is up just over the ridge. I am not knocking stand or food plot and field hunting because it certainly has a bunch of people who like to hunt that way. Hunting to me involves the chase and pitting my skills against the most warry animal I can access here in New England. It is me against him with the obvious advantage going to him. Occasionally when I am the winner it reminds me about just how pressious hunting is. When I am in good woods it doesn't matter if I don't see any deer. I know they are there and the thought of that fact is what keeps me going back. In my book it is the hunt rather than the kill that keeps me going. Sneaking along a swamp miles from the truck and hoping to catch up with that track that is looking for a bedding spot is what it is all about. The one thing I hate is to be on a decent track and have it lead to some posters. For that reason I stick to the largest public land I can find like in the 3 northern states.
Thats what its all about.

Quick Reply: DD TV Show or Not ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.