Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When do you make that decision to shoot or not? >

When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

That's what makes hunting whitetails so interesting...I have never seen a 140-150 class buck in the wild in NC...And I have hunted them for about 40 years....I am fortunate in that our season starts in Mid-September and runs until the end of December and I can legally kill 6 a year, owning farmland, I can actually legally kill more than that, but haven't done so in many years, I get more enjoyment in helping others now than ever before...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to have all my moving arround pretty much done before he can see me. The safety comes off when I think its a deer, crosshairs come up when i think it may be a shooter.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have standards, on what I shoot. If it doesnt meet the standards, it walks on.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on the week. First week & second weekand hes not decent Ill pass. third week I might not be as picky. Last week buck or doe it goes down if I have a antlerless deer tag. Gotta fill the freezer.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah... all the different factors. Lets see... I manage our property, so it depends on the day. If I havent seen any shooter bucks, and its very late, yes, I might take a doe (about 3 every season). Most fo the days if I don't see a shooter, I'll enjoy watching the wildlife. If it's a shooter, of course I'll take that animal! But, only if a number of factors play out. For example: yardage. The buck is 400 yds away, and you're shooting free hand. No, shooting would not be a good choice. Is there brush in front of the buck? I MIGHT CONSIDER taking this animal if I had a heavy caliber rifle, such as a .308. There are so many more decisions to be made about taking the animal, but I'm not writing an essay for Deer 101.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

I try to have all my moving arround pretty much done before he can see me. The safety comes off when I think its a deer, crosshairs come up when i think it may be a shooter.
Why don't you wait until you know it's a deer before you take the safety off. Isn't that safer?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

You are in the woods and suddenly you become quite aware there is a deer moving through the area and will be within range soon.

The moment of truth comes and you must make the decision to take this deer's life or not.

Have you made up your mind well before or do you make that all important decision as it presents itself?

Is the deer population (high or low) a factor in your decision?

I wouldn't evenbe in the bush that day hunting, if I wasn't willing to take a life.
And yeah I do have there is days , when I'm just too tired, or maybe its the weather, that factors into my decision,to even bother with the gutting skinning dragging hanging,etc. So I don't even bother going..
As far as deer pop goes, that decision is made in the off season when I'm SCOUTING....
By the time I'm in the bush hunting, I already know I'm in an area with a very high buck to doe ratio...
The only decion that factors into me not making a shot at all,is safety, the animal sex,and size of antlers..
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not going any where, and ive got control of the firearm, taking off the mechanical safety doesnt bother me at all.

Why don't you wait until you know it's a deer before you take the safety off. Isn't that safer?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not going any where, and ive got control of the firearm, taking off the mechanical safety doesnt bother me at all.

To each is own.....

If it's safer to leave the safe on until positively identifying motion or noise as a deer, that's what I think should be done....always.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

i wait until the last minute to make a decision depending upon how big the herd is or how big the buck is

Quick Reply: When do you make that decision to shoot or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.