Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buckshot or slugs

Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: buckshot or slugs

If you use buck shot stay with the 00 or 000 buck. I shot my 10 pointer with 3" magnumfederal premium 000. But like I said in my earlier post I wont use it anymore due to the lack of blood there was even with the bigger buckshot. When I skinned him there was a whole load of #1 in him that had healed over from a previous season. It didnt penetrate for crap. He survived fortunately but thats not the point. Spend the money get a rifled slug barrel and shoot the premium slugs. You wont regret it at all.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM

I have hunted here in Alberta with a smooth bore shotgun. We have to use slugs and not buck shot here to hunt big game. I have no chokes, and Ifound that sabot slugs work best in it. But since we can hunt with a rifle I don't use my shotgun all that often...was thinking of going back to it this year.

You can think aboutusing a sabot slug.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM

What do you mean you have no choke? You mean your gun game with a cylinder bore choke, or that you have screw in chokes and just don't use them? You should not be shooting anything out of a gun with no choke installed if it takes screw in chokes.

What is your version of "works the best"? What sort of accuracy are you getting out of what sabot out of a smooth bore. I can't believe that you won't find something that is better or just as good in a rifled slug for 1/3 the money of what a sabot costs.

Paul
Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

What do you mean you have no choke? You mean your gun game with a cylinder bore choke, or that you have screw in chokes and just don't use them? You should not be shooting anything out of a gun with no choke installed if it takes screw in chokes.

What is your version of "works the best"? What sort of accuracy are you getting out of what sabot out of a smooth bore. I can't believe that you won't find something that is better or just as good in a rifled slug for 1/3 the money of what a sabot costs.

Paul
Sorry my mistake...it is a Cylinder bore....it has the same diameter throughout,i.e. without choke. 12ga.2/34inch.As for your other questions... yea I use 1 ounce hollow point slugs too.....andeven cheaper $3:99 slugs as well.But as for cost of sabot slugs well...Walmart was clearing them out so Ibought them.

Now being that I am not a "gun nut" that owns all the gadgets that measures the velocity of the bullet or the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle, why I can't even give you the ballistics that you asked for. All I can say is that the sabot slug hit closer to the centre of a 50 yard target than did those $3:99 slugs.

As I said already I don't even use the shotgun anymore....haven't used it on a deer since 2001.

But for a guy such as myself who dosn't have all thoughs fancy shooting tools I do all right during hunting season. My freezer is full each year. The velocity, the ballistics, the hitting power means nothing to the deer, and with most of my kills under 60 yards( in the past two years under 45 yards)it don't mean much to me either. In my rifle I use 180gain core loc Rem. cartridges, and my rifle has been sighted in at 100 yards. The shell, rifle and scope haven't failed me yet...the bullet hit where the rifle was aimed. Now the shooter well...he can miss.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM

I didn't ask for any ballistics, just how accurate it was with the sabots out of a smooth bore. Like 4 inches at 50 yards, or 2 inches at 50 yards. That sort of thing. It is pretty rare that you see a sabot be more accurate than a rifled slug out of a smooth bore at any real distance. You might get some pretty close at shorter ranges, but it sure isn't worth the price difference.

Paul