Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you ever overhunt a deer stand? >

Do you ever overhunt a deer stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you ever overhunt a deer stand?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you ever overhunt a deer stand?

I must admit, this is something Ido more often than I should. I guess there's a feeling of comfort being in an area that I know very well and has produced in years past.

I can become very stubborn when it comes to leaving a specific stand or specific area. Even after I have hunted it for days in a row.

A friend suggested I use the 3-sit rule, where 1 sit = 1/2 day.
After 3 sits, move on to another location. I try to practice this and sometimes I move on and sometimes I don't!

Does anybody else overhunt a particular stand?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you ever overhunt a deer stand?

I have while bowhunting. I had a spot where I scored several times over the years usually when the wind was right and on the first or second night in the stand. On years when I failed to score I kept going back and the deer sightings would dramatically fall off after the third night. I was always careful on scent control but just going to and leaving the stand takes its toll. No telling how many deer either see you or hear you when you leave the stand at dark. It doesn't take long before they know you are there and go around you. Now I never use the same stand more than 2 times in a row and then don't go back for at least 3 or 4 days. My success has gone up when I place several stands in an area and alternate every night and try to use the wind in the selection.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually hunt the same 2 stands all year. One of the stands I hunt almost every day for a week or so. It really doesnt make a difference i dont think. As long as they dont smell you then youre fine.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted every weekday afternoon last bow season and all day on the weekends. Season lasted around 6 wks and I only hunted 3 stands. so yeah I would say I overhunted all of the stands, because when I would see a buck I would hunt the stand 2-3 times in a row. I did kill a buck in every stand though, and I saw six different bucks out of my favorite stand. I don't think the young bucks or does seem to care, just the smart bucks.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I plan on getting at least 10 stands up that me and my brother will alternate from. We will only hunt a stand 2 days in a row as well.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you have a lot of property to keep bouncing stands it is going to happen. Like others said its not a big deal when hunting does or any young buck to come by. Try that while targeting mature bucks and you will be in for a long season.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 20 stands between 2 seperate areas. Most are doubled up to play the wind (same specific area, different places on the trail). I usually bounce every 2-3 days from stand to stand depending on the traffic. There have been years that even though I have moved, I have taken a buck in bow, ML, and rifle from the same stand. Some stands produce more than others so as long as you are careful in and out why wouldn't one stand work. If the deer are there they are there.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer to stillhunt most of the timeor track deerwhen there is snow but I have a few different stands. I definately hunt one in particular more then the others when Im stand hunting. Its on private land relatively close (150yds) to my neighbors house rightin a funnel. I think its so good because its a funnel obviously and because of all the everyday activites going on all the time nearbythat the deer get use to. The vehicles driving down the road,my neighboroutside with his dog all the time, Human scent is around all the time, etc.I set it up5 yrs ago and I have shot two deer from it 2 yrs in a row and friends of mine have shot deer from it also, some in the same season. A total of 7 deer in all so far.So yes I overhunt this stand when I stand hunt or one of my friends does when Im not using it. I think its all about the location.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely!!!

Of course, I always do this with the one my brother plans to hunt when he comes in...

Deer hunting is about "gut feeling"...I can't sit multiple times where I don't have any confidence...I can sit where I have had success in the past...A few years back my brother hunted one of our stands for 4 days in a row, seeing deer each day, it was during the rut but I was working...He left for a couple of days, I moved in and killed a 9 point that stepped into the field and was running does....This stand is over hunted each year but I'd put money on it producing a good buck sometimes during the rut....
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Absolutely!!!

Of course, I always do this with the one my brother plans to hunt when he comes in...
Lol thats a good idea.

Quick Reply: Do you ever overhunt a deer stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.