Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting with dogs

Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer hunting with dogs

What do you think of deer hunting with dogs? I personally love the tradition of it, as I was introduced to itfiveyears ago (my dad is a still-hunter). I live in north florida where hunting like this on large tracts of land is still possible. I still hunt ever chance I get during bow and muzzleloader season, and usually harvest more bucks during both than I ever would running dogs. I am just curious to what other hunters think, as running dogs seems to be a dwindling tradition.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer hunting with dogs

Not this again. I'll give you a quick summary from last seasons thread(which you might be able to pull up in a search). The thread was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pages and what I basically concluded was:

1. Some people love it.
2. Some people hate it.
3.Some people don't know much about actually doingit.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uhh, lets see, dog hunters are a bunch of lazy slobs who just sit in their pickups drinking beer and eating pickled pig feet until the dogs run a deer to the point of exhaustion and it comes to a complete stop 10 feet from the tailgate at which time they shoot it and then head back to the trailer park and leave the dogs to fend for themselves. And while we are on the topic of hunting with dogs, any kind of dog hunting that i have never done and do not understand is unsportsmanlike. Lastly, any form of dog hunting that causes the slightest disturbance within a two mile radius of where i am deer hunting should be banned. Does that sum it up for some of you fellas.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the link to the last memorable dog hunting thread.

RE: Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Make sure you start on page 1 because the link will take you to page 28 I think. I don't know how to get a link to the threadwithout the orange search terms still highlighted.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry, I should have known this thread was somewhere on the site!!! I didnt mean to beat a dead horse
Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its a very popular dead horse to beat though. I think that this topic comes up and turns into a multi-page axe-grinding threat about three times a year.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Uhh, lets see, dog hunters are a bunch of lazy slobs who just sit in their pickups drinking beer and eating pickled pig feet until the dogs run a deer to the point of exhaustion and it comes to a complete stop 10 feet from the tailgate at which time they shoot it and then head back to the trailer park and leave the dogs to fend for themselves. And while we are on the topic of hunting with dogs, any kind of dog hunting that i have never done and do not understand is unsportsmanlike. Lastly, any form of dog hunting that causes the slightest disturbance within a two mile radius of where i am deer hunting should be banned. Does that sum it up for some of you fellas.
What a contradiction there Lanse! You claim "i have never done"?!

Yet you give out the top secret information of the traditional consumption of pickled food products!

You hipocrit you. Heck you still hold the record for eating pickled eggs for theMoose lodge's Rod & Gun club.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about one man and one dog, still hunting together? Ever thought of it? Ever done it?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

are you SURE you have never been dog hunting? That is a vivid description!! haha
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why am i not surprised to see Uncle Matt (AKA "the stray beagle slayer") pop up here.

I'll have you know that i do not consume pickled pork hocks while sitting in my pick-up waiting for the deer to come running right up to my truck. I have found that having a jar of pigs feet and a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon sitting on my dashboard causes confusion. Too many times I have been distracted by the baying of the hounds and end up chugging pickle juice instead of beer. It can get even more confusing since most dog hunters chew Red Man tobacco or dip Skoal and end up using an empty PBR can as a spitton. A mouthful of tobacco spit is even worse than the pickle juice.
So, those of us who are really traditionally go with pigskins instead of pigs feet.

Quick Reply: deer hunting with dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.